Thread: taxi rip off
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2012, 16:12   #53
Eric
God Member

Re: taxi rip off

Quote:
Originally Posted by yerself View Post
Taxi drivers don't need to wear a seat belt Mick.

When you don't need to wear a seat belt

You don't need to wear a seat belt if you're:
a licensed taxi driver who is 'plying for hire' or carrying passengers.

Using a seat belt : Directgov - Travel and transport
Similar over here too ... drivers in K'town do not need to wear a seatbelt when carrying passengers. At other times they have to.

It does seem to me that taxi meters would be a great idea. I used to drive hack, and I still own a taxi ... comes in handy on busy nites There are three cab companies in town, and the fares for all cabs are set by the Taxi Commission, which is appointed by City Council. All meters are calibrated on a test track, and then sealed. There are no extra charges for weather, ... even the boost fee is the same for all companies. It simplifies things: you phone any one of the companies; get in the cab; tell the driver where you want to go and which route you want him to take; and you are off and running. And taxis don't shut down for bad weather, although individual drivers might decide that road conditions are too dangerous and quit early. If a customer thinks he has been ripped off, he can complain to the company. If he gets no satisfaction, he can then complain to the Commission. If you allow a driver to set fares on a whim, or according to his level of greed, then obviously you are going to have problems.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote