View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 17:45   #11
annesingleton

Re: ASDA hiding ciggies

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
No doubt we've had this argument before but everyone has their vices, I've never smoked but I like a drink, my drinking will not kill or harm anyone else whereas your smoking will and does, it's not rocket science, it's a dirty , smelly habit that actually has been proved to kill people. I'm glad that it's banned in public places, I'm glad that there are no more fag machines.
**My dad, who has smoked copiously all his adult life has done enough with his coughing, wheezing and making our clothes and hair smell that neither me or my 2 siblings have ever smoked and my daughter considers it disgusting. **
I actually agree with your comments! Although apparently as far as I know there is no scientific evidence that passive smoking has killed anyone, if you know different then fair enough. I'm actually glad it's been banned in public places I find it much more pleasant in pubs, restaurants etc and I know it's dirty and smelly, hence my obsession with scented candles. I travel quite a bit in my work, and the one thing I do miss is being able to stop off for a coffee and not be able to light a cigarette.
My children don't smoke and I wouldn't advocate that anyone start to smoke, but what I do object to is holier than thou people telling me how to live my life.
And don't forget, there is a strong lobby at the moment who want the same things to happen with alcohol as has happened with cigarettes. To me, the real concern is with being told what to do and how to live my life. I know some things are bad for me and I will choose whether or not to continue with them and don't need to be told how to live my life.
I'm sure that in not many years to come smoking will be a thing of the past, but as things are at the moment let's let the older generation just get on with our lives which may or may not include smoking and keep the cigarettes on the shelves! Putting them under the counter won't make me stop smoking in fact it could well bring out my rebellious streak!
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote