View Single Post
Old 15-02-2012, 10:42   #33
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Bethel Chapel "walking" crusade

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
We need to establish whether the chapel in the photos with your mum is actually the building that was between those two houses on Hyndburn road, also when it burnt down.

Although they have gothic details, not sure that those two houses were part of a church. If they were transepts with a church between, as Atarah says in the comment on Flickr, the roofs would have been at 90 degrees to the way they are now, ie with the ridge line heading towardsthe building in the middle rather than parallel to it.

Also if part of a church there would not have been chimneys or upstairs windows and if these were put in after the church was destroyed it would have been after 1930 or so if the chapel photos are of that building, but they don't look like they are a late addition.

I think these may have been separate buildings, perhaps a presbytery and a Sunday school but all in all quite substantiial buildings to have only been used for a short time before Sacred Heart was built.

Wish I were in Accy, I would go and have a look at the houses myself..
Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Looking at the second of the chapel photos, the detail of the head of the window to the right of the porch is different from that of the windows in the gable end of the Hyndburn road houses, suggesting that they were not all part of the same buiding.
Have found an Accyweb thread from 2004 which has solved some problems and given some answers.

First, this quote from Acrylic-Bob, though I don't know where he got his info from:

St Oswalds Church Was situated on Hyndburn Road between Elmfield House (later Gatty Park) and Hags Mill at the bottom of the footpath known locally as 'Owd bob's'
It was built in 1852 and ceased to be a church when the Sacred Heart Church was built on Blackburn Road in 1869. The building survived until the outbreak of the second world war being latterly used for storing tyres. It was destroyed by fire on the morning of 16th October 1943. The building comprised a central nave and two transepts. The transepts survived the fire and were converted into houses. They can still be seen on Hyndburn Road.

So the church was still standing in the 20s/30s.

Second, a photo showing the church.

Looking at the detail of the front door, gate posts and small front windows I would say this IS the same building as in the photos with your mum. So you were right.

I still say the houses were not transepts, they look more like small buildings stuck on the corners. And they do have chimneys and upstairs windows then, which part of a church would not have. More likely vestries or meeting rooms maybe.

Blowing up the photo, the attached building on the right has a separate entrance with gate posts and what looks like a front door, plus greenhouse and garden in front. Also dormers in the roof which you wouldn't have in the church. I reckon it was the priest's house.

Think I'll have a rest now, done enough digging on this...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hyndburnroad. RC chapel.jpg (86.5 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by susie123; 15-02-2012 at 10:49.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote