View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 13:36   #101
garinda
Give, give, give member

Re: Should Hyndburn be supporting Pakistan in Kashmir?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
We seem to be going round in circles on this topic. Let's try and summarise so we can draw a line under it and move on.

An Asian councillor puts forward a motion to Council on an issue that has no direct bearing on the Council. HE feels he is justified in doing so because a section of his constituents want to draw attention to what they see as an injustice. MOST other people disagree, feeling that it has nothing to do with the Council, and should more properly be taken up by the National Government.

The Council constitution doesn't prevent him from doing it, and accordingly the item is presented to Council. The more extreme words in the motion are watered down, and the Council pass a balanced, fairly anodyne resolution.

Lessons to be learned? Maybe the Council should add a one line amendment to its constitution disallowing items that are so clearly outside the control of the Council. Maybe the Group leaders should step in to prevent such items being presented on the basis of the resentment they are likely to cause.

Whatever the lessons to be learned, let's learn them and move on!
Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Neddy might be lame, but obviously people still care.

He only dies when people no longer post.

So many thanks for continuing to post here, and giving the old horse breath.
Cheers.

Thanks a lot.

I have a lot on today.

You've saved me a job.

The longer this thread's active, the more people will see what internationalist numpties we have for councillors, here in Hyndburn.

Last edited by garinda; 03-03-2012 at 13:41.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote