View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 09:51   #47
jaysay
Resting in Peace

Re: wellington street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
Yep, before it become Wibis (Wines, Beers, Spirits) Jaysay. it was owned by a woman called Mary Capel, it sold Alcohol then too, appropriately enough she had a Dog called Whisky!! Lol!...It used to let us kids take a ride on its back, but it had a "thing" about uniforms & the Postman used to dread coming along that stretch of Royds Street!

There was actually another off license on Royds Street too, it was on the left hand side going up past Nuttall Street, just before Clement Street. They used to sell Sherry out of a Cask, so you could bring a bottle in to be filled. Later on another corner shop on nuttall street i think sold alcohol too, it was the one straight across from "Fred's Butchers" which later became a chippy!

Best Regards - Taggy
Wibis, When I worked for Valley Refrigeration and Shopfitters, we had the contract to do all the Wibis shops the Guy who owned it was a foreigner, can remember his name for the life in me, Hand a very big house in its own grounds on the Longsight Road, he had around 15 shops in Lances, was quite a good bloke to work for, always kept the beer flowing if we were pushing for a deadline