View Single Post
Old 13-03-2012, 13:22   #40
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Oh you are offal, but I like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Cyanocobalmin is one of the 3 forms of vitamin B12
The other two are methylcobalamin and dibencoside - I take these two sublingually.

Cyanocobalmin leaves molecules of cyanide in the body after it is absorbed so i don't use it. The reason it is used by medical practioners is due to its longer 'shelf life'. Methylcobalamin needs dark cool conditions to ensure no loss of potency and is impractical for chemists to stock.
A bit of a chemistry lesson coming up here - this is not meant to be patronising, but informative. Margaret, apologies if you know this already but others may not.

Cyanide itself is not a molecule. In inorganic chemistry it is known as an ion, CN-, which can form compounds with various metals. In organic chemistry it is known as a radical, which can form molecules with all sorts of other organic groups to form compounds such as cyanocobalamin. The inorganic cyanides are far more toxic than the organic cyanide compounds.

Hydrogen cyanide, HCN, also known as prussic acid, is one of the most toxic cyanide compounds and is found is all sorts of smoke from organic substances including tobacco smoke, as well as in the stones of fruits such as almonds and plums - the compound is well known for its bitter almonds taste and smell.

The amount of cyanide liberated when cyanocobalamin is converted to Vitamin B12 is so small that its toxicity is negligible apart from concerns that heavy smokers should not be given cyanocobalamin since they may already have higher CN levels from tobaco smoke.

Forty years ago I did a PhD in organic chemistry. Part of my research involved reactions using hydrogen cyanide in the form of a liquefied gas. I had to wear a respirator and there had to be someone outside the room, also wearing a respirator, standing by with the antidote in case it were needed.

I also had an ex boyfriend who committed suicide by ingesting one of the inorganic cyanides, not sure which, which he had taken from his lab.

So I think I know a little bit about the subject!