View Single Post
Old 13-03-2012, 15:18   #1
garinda
Give, give, give member

What is/was special about your Mum?

As it's Mothering Sunday later this week, I thought we could lead up to it, by sharing a few thoughts about what makes our own mothers special.

I really don't want to upset anyone. As I know we have members who lost their mums much too early, but I hope there's still some precious memories to cherish, which you may wish to share, in tribute to her.

If you didn't have a mum, please feel free to post about whoever took that role in your life, be it a gran, or even your dad, and what made them special.

My Mum and me are cut from the same cloth.

I could talk politics all night with my Dad, or play Scrabble. Things my Mum will do under duress. If there's nothing more interesting we could be doing.

However, drop me and Mum in an art gallery of 10,000 paintings, ask us which were our favourite paintings, and we'll have chosen the exact same three.

Temperament wise we're very similar. We both have extremely long fuses, and rarely lose our tempers, but when something, or someone does ignite that fuse, boy, watch out for the explosion, and just hope we don't both go off at the same time, because we both go a little bit mental, and are quite fearless.

The only major difference between us is that my Mum is totally selfless. Whereas I'm selfish.

I'm not going to give examples, because if someone tells her I've been 'broadcasting her own business all over the internet', I'm likely to get a clout.

What I love about my Mum, and admire the most, is that she cares about people, hates bullies, and injustice, and is genuinely a good woman.

She never tells me what she's done. That's certainly not her style, but over the years people, barely known to me, or indeed my Mum, have told me little things she's done, that they've appreciated.

'Some pans, when I had nowt. A bunch of flowers after our burglary. A visit when I was first on my own. A bag of food, when I didn't know where my next penny was coming from. Paid for my kids to go on a trip, when I was skint. Some new bedding, after he thew me out, and I left with nothing.'

After my Dad died, nearly eighteen years ago, because I'm single, I always planned to look after my Mum if she ever needed me.

It breaks my heart that at (cough) sixty seven, she is still looking after me, and very often spends her time off from work doing jobs for me, that I struggle with.

She has a great sense of humour, and can be very witty, and very often we'll both be in stitches. As we were last week, when an overly friendly woman we shared a table with in a cafe, asked us why we lived apart, seeing as we were man and wife!

She's up at five o'clock, four morning per week, and has rolled hundreds of tea cakes before most peoples' alarms have gone off. Even though cooking for her is a wasteful necessity, when that time coud be spent doing more useful things. But sadly for her, she saw my Dad playing football when she was fifteen, and happened to fall in love with a boy who was a baker, so half a century later, longer than anyone who chose to make bread and pies, she's still in the floury thick of it.

My Mum's a good person, and I'd like her enormously, even if I hadn't been lucky enough to have been her eldest 'little lad'.

She's a great mum, and her two sons, and two grandchildren love her very much.

We only get one Mum, and if she's not here to cherish right now, I truly hope you've got plenty of wonderful memories of her to cherish, to keep your Mum's love alive.

Last edited by garinda; 13-03-2012 at 15:26.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web