Thread: Markyspark
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2012, 08:39   #6
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Markyspark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
Yeah its not for everybody. I don't actually know many people that do like classical music.
Well you know another one now! I still like the pop music I grew up with but anything after about 1970 is a closed book to me. Used to sing in large choirs for several years doing anything from Palestrina to Poulenc to Paul Pattrson. I really love opera but it's a bit of a cultural desert for that where I live.

I spent the last five years of my working life writing about classical music and meeting performers and composers when I worked for an organisation that put on festivals in the midlands. My job was to produce from scratch the souvenir programme booklet for each festival, including programme notes, artist biographies and articles and it was the most interesting job I ever had.

I listened to a couple of tracks from your friend's album but found it rather boring and samey. I prefer my music a bit more challenging - Accrington's own Sir Harrison Birtwistle for example? First heard about at a lecture at Accy library in the late 60s.

One thing that puzzles me - why is any musical item these days referred to as a song even when there are clearly no words? I even saw an internet site once where you could download classical tracks and they were referred to as songs even when they were a string quartet or something!