Thread: Portas Pilot
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2012, 16:53   #79
Eric
God Member

Re: Portas Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps our borough councillors could first have a stab at dealing with things that directly relate to the borough of Hyndburn?

Instead of passing their time in pointless political posturing, by voting to pass motions condemning the Indian side in the Kashmir conflict, the withdrawl of working tax credits, cuts in benefits and pensions, and the Health and Social Care Act.

Bit or a radical idea, I know.

Local government, dealing with local issues, and not involving themselves in national, and international issues.

You never know, it might just catch on.

Local councils.

Local problems.

Totally agree ... and in Canada, the idea ain't all that radical. Kingston has just been voted the third best community in Canada in which to live. Tuktoyaktuk and Moose Jaw hold down the first two places ... sorry for the obscure in-house humour But the bloody potholes. I hit one the other day and am now looking at almost $700.00 of front end work. So I phoned my councillor and bitched about it. Jim said that he knew of the problem and that city crews were working all hours to fill in the holes. That's what I like to hear. And I can see the evidence on my own street. Holes are being filled. Now, it's been a bad winter for the streets. Lots of freezing and thawing; and this, as most of you are aware, is hell on the paving. Little cracks become big cracks, big cracks become holes. No doubt City Council could pass a motion urging world governments to act against climate change, but they won't. They will spend our tax dollars filling in the damn holes. This is what they are elected to do.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote