Old 06-04-2012, 08:05   #5
cashman
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Lionel Messi

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpon View Post
Unfortunately, he's a bit out of Cooky's price range Cashy !!!

Messi is an awesome player, frightening to think he's only 24 and probably has the best years of his career in front of him yet!!

Have to say though, I had this discussion with my step-father and a few others at the club I go to at the weekends, and (given that they're older than me and well versed / qualified to comment ) they didn't rate Messi in their "top three".

They went on to rate Pele, Finney, Puskas and Best to mention but a few....( given that these guys saw all these players in the flesh and not on T.V. !!! ) above Mr Messi. And how did I regret mentioning Maradonna in that exalted company.....cheating git I know, but for me...."hand of god" aside, he has to rank up there with the best.

The best I've seen in the flesh....Frank Worthington ( when he played for P.N.E. at the end of his career ) He was knocking forty when I saw him.....And John Barnes...went downhill after "that" goal against Brazil !!!
Have to say Finney n Best are the best english players ive seen in flesh n fer me Messi is up yon wi em, only saw Puskas @ Pele on t.v. Tell em thing is a lot of folk are guilty of the "Those were the days syndrome" have been guilty of that meself.