View Single Post
Old 23-04-2012, 14:29   #13
mobertol
God Member

Re: Don't Panic Everything Is Normal...

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
As for the kidney beans - I thought beans were something of a staple of Italian cooking - and red beans aren't that different from cannellini or borlotti - or haven't you eaten those before either?

Where do your tomatoes come from in Italy at this time of year - surely even there they're not grown outside at this time of year?
Red Kidney Bean Poisoning is an illness caused by a toxic agent, Phytohaemagglutnin (Kidney Bean Lectin). This toxic agent is found in many species of beans, but it is in highest concentration in red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris).
As few as 4 or 5 beans can bring on symptoms. Onset of symptoms varies from between 1 to 3 hours. Onset is usually marked by extreme nausea, followed by vomiting, which may be very severe, some persons report abdominal pain. Some persons have been hospitalized, but recovery is usually rapid (3 - 4 h after onset of symptoms) and spontaneous.

You have to be very careful how you cook dried red kidney beans -in a way it's my own fault as I'm supposed to avoid all legumes as it can trigger off IBS which I have bouts of occasionally (also shouldn't eat mushrooms, like you, any brassicas or leafy things like spinach -I love them so only have tiny amounts from time to time, but spinach i can't touch as it makes me really ill...)
It's hard when you're staying with other people as they have their own way of doing things -home now anyway -still have abdominal pain from the beans but it's passing off and am feeling better now i'm back to cooking for myself. Diet as from today, back to healthy soups, absolutely no cheese or wine and tea without sugar -the hardest thing to do without for me! Put half a stone on in the UK with all the scones, cakes and take-aways!

As to tomatoes, we have them from Sardinia, grown in hot-houses available from March -they are great. In the summer they grow behind my house like weeds and have fantastic flavour...all they need is sunshine

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote