View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 14:44   #46
susie123
Resting In Peace

Re: Are registered members frightening?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think it could be a bit scary being a newbie on here(it really depends on your constitution...your ability to bite back, but gently ).
It has been said in many other threads that sometimes new members come here with the wrong attitude(I'm not entirely sure 'attitude' is quite the right word)...they encounter some flak and then spit the dummy and are never heard of again.
I can remember coming here a long time ago and being in awe of some of the longstanding members....and I stood back for a good while getting the 'feel' of the place before posting.
It is by far the most interesting and varied forum(bar none) and it is the core of regular posters who make it like this.
I spent a few weeks as an observer before registering and jumped right in with both feet with a very long post about my childhood in Accy, thoughts I had been mulling over for some time and wanted to get down in words. I didn't even know there was an "introduce yourself" section !

I was overwhelmed with the good reception my thread received and was made to feel very welcome by many people. Similarly when I posted about my illness a few months people were so very supportive. I guess I must have struck a chord with some folks and they feel like a family now... and as with most families there are ups and downs and some people who get on your nerves but all in all it's been a very good experience for me and helped me through some hard times.

It may be my attitude that has helped me get along so well here but it's also the thought of a community out there who are very caring about someone they may never meet. Is there a cure for this addiction? I hope not!