View Single Post
Old 05-05-2012, 07:04   #23
Eric
God Member

Re: Yesterdays elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
in my considered opinion, it isn't apathy.

I think the political parties fail to recognise how disaffected we are with their antics.
Or am I generalising here? I certainly feel disaffected.
I feel like the political parties do not recognise that I can see for myself, think for myself and make choices(provided that I am given something to make a choice on).
Currently the political parties are so similar, that in reality, there is no choice.

Career politicians are not out to improve the lot of the electorate...they are only in the job to line their own pockets, and ensure their own financial security for the future.
Many of them have never done a proper job of work. They know (and care) little about the struggles which are faced daily by the 'common man'(and I mean that in the most respectful way).

If voting really had any impact in changing things, they would stop us from doing it.
They promise much but deliver little.
You are dead right ... It isn't apathy. And the argument that Guiness puts foreward is flawed, right from its beginning. Anyone who is aware of the issues, the difference between municipal and national politcs, and, in general, what's happening politicaly is most certainly not apathetic, as he or she has taken the time to assess the issues. In other words, we have an informed voter who chooses not to vote. Apathy is "I don't give a flying you-know-what as long as the beer is cold and the tv works".

Last edited by Eric; 05-05-2012 at 07:10.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote