View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 13:44   #1
Studio25

iTunes alternative for Linux?

I've just googled for linux itunes alternatives, and while there seem to be plenty of them, there doesn't seem to be a comparative review. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I'll be honest - I don't use itunes, so I have no idea what I'm looking for. Basically, a work colleague has trashed her Vista installation, and as long as she gets her photos, docs and music back from the laptop, she'll be happy. I've pulled the drive and copied all the files across to a different PC, so now I'm just interested in getting it back up and running.

It was running Vista home basic, installed by one of these companies that gives out Dell laptops for "free" as long as you sign up to a mobile broadband deal. It has no recovery partition, and no CDs.

I have a HP vista home premium machine, so I'm not convinced any recovery disc I make from that will work for repairing her installation. I'm going to suggest an upgrade to Ubuntu, partly because I can't find an online copy for her particular "flavour" of vista, but mostly because the laptop only has 1GB of RAM so it's not really running well anyway.

Any consensus on the way forward?

Edit: There is a windows product code on the bottom of the PC, so if all vista discs are the same, and it's the code that determines the "flavour", then I might just download it.

Last edited by Studio25; 07-05-2012 at 13:46. Reason: Addendum
Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web