Thread: Mary's Music
View Single Post
Old 29-11-2004, 09:51   #42
Terry

Re: Mary's Music

I must say that I have enjoyed all of these threads. Certainly a sentimental journey. The picture above is not Joe Morts. Morts was further to the left of an old fashioned pub complete with vault, tap room and bar. In 1988 I re-visited this pub and found it to have been totally renovated inside and it professed to be a 'nightclub' Being one of Accy's original teds,1956-1961, I used to spend most of my time at Knowelmere st with Cliff or at Joe Morts. Not only did they run a rock'n'roll place but they also taught ballroom dancing. Morts did have a fearsome reputation all founded on myth, and it all helped to build an atmosphere about the place. There was rarely any trouble at all in the dance hall. I used to help Joe and Mary with the DJ duties quite often as did other of my teddy mates. There were only about five or six of us originally although the rest of Accy's youth soon were all wearing drainpipes soon enough. In fact alot of the crowd were from Haslinden. From time to time we heard that a lot of teds had come from Manchester and Liverpool and used to battle it out on Blackburn Rd. but I never saw any of it. In fact the Accy teds(including myself) were all wusses Had there ever been anything like that we would have quietly disappeared. At no time was I ever aware of Mary having a 'Music' shop under the ballroom. That's not to say she didn't. Because I am a newbie I haven't quite got the hang of all the different posts and threads yet and i'm not quite sure of where to post. Hope you all bear with me. I have asked elsewhere for details of Mary's shop and address. I can't remember where. I also gave a description of the clothes I wore during the late 50's. Again I can't remember where. Sorry all. I was going to continue but I think I'm getting off thread so I'll stop
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote