View Single Post
Old 14-06-2012, 15:58   #58
ToffeeGuy

Re: funny how democracey works for some and not others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Peace in Europe? Well let's forget about the Cold War and what it cost European countries ... and that spat in the Balkans ... and what's happening in the streets of major European cities ... Peace broke out inevitably, aided by MAD and the Germans finally getting it throught their thick, square heads that maybe a big juicy war with lots of fancy uniforms wasn't the way to go. Peace was earned by an independent Britain sticking it out alone when the rest of the world, even the U.S. had just about given up on ever being able to beat the Nazis. The turning point of the war, I would argue, was the Battle of Britain ... not Stalingrad, not Midway, not Operation Bagration, not D-Day. Hitler, in order to win, had to beat the British in 1940. After the war, after Trinity, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki, Europe just about had to be peaceful ... the peace of exhaustion after two world wars. A peace of two super powers, aided and abetted by some European minnow states.

And what is so good about the free movement of people running around Europe looking for work? Is this any better than a Britain with a strong manufacturing base, and well-paid jobs for British working men, in Britain? (Sorry about the political incorrectness ladies ... but, I'm old and old fashioned)

And free trade. Gimme a break The only beneficiaries of this are the major transnational corporations. In the US ... and we have to admit that they are a major world economy ... protectionism has become the name of the game. And another booming (although slowing) economy is China's. Protectionism all the way. And the rise in living standards ... mere temporary illusion ... tell it to the Greeks. Tell it to the almost 50% of young unemployed Spaniards. Look at Britain. A few great boom years, and then into a recession that won't be going away any time soon.

In short, I don't agree with you.
The precursors to the EU, EEC etc, and the Nato Alliance provided strength during the Cold War. So thanks for providing me with another reason for why the EU is a good thing. Resisting Communism during the Cold War.

Plus I think you'll find the Enigma machine had a big hand in winning the war, helped by our current EU colleagues the Poles. Hitler trying to take on Russia didn't help. But basically we wouldn't have won the war without the US. But that's another subject altogether.
ToffeeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote