View Single Post
Old 25-06-2012, 07:01   #8
entwisi
God Member

Re: bakeries in hyndburn during the seventies

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
Are we talking about Bridges' Max? Pasties and meet pies were very good, but I would kill to get one of their Savoys at the moment.

It was Bridges and its still there under different management but TBH its a pale shadow of its former self... My mum lived on Elizabeth St till 18 months ago and she wouldn't go in for the last 2-3 years as it had gone so far down hill..

As a nipper back in the 70's I remember being sent for a fig square ( which wasn't square!) for pudding on more than one occasion and we used to get our loaves there.
Then there was the corner shop on Exchange Street (Pats) where we got to spend our pennies on sweets and or go for whatever ingredients Mum needed for tea. She used to run tick so you could pay at the end of the week... I can't ever see Tesco doing that

There was "Vivo" which was at the bottom of Eddleston street(always had a weird smell that shop which I can still bring to mind), the paper shop next door(next in line when it came to sweets, more choice but usually more expensive!), the "post Office" (which wasn't a post office any more but was always referred to as such) on the corner of Lonsdale and Charter st. There was also a small veg shop on the bottom by what was then a roundabout but is now just an island( and a hairdressers next door?). Takeaways consisted of the Chinese at the top of Sharples street and another traditional English at the bottom of Spring St. Finally there was two Butchers I remember, "Jacks" at the bottom of our street and another on George street between Eddleston and Spring St.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote