Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2007, 19:24   #46
Junior Member+

Re: vs Darlington

You were probably getting Joachim mixed up with Palmer, who was the livlier of the two.

They both look identical from a distance and play on the wings so are easily mistakable.
nick_darlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2007, 19:44   #47
God Member

Who got man of the match?
I was quite impressed with Di Branchio nothing fancy just gets the job done!
Looked good when we did go forward but the number of times the ball went backwards instead of forwards was a constant source of frustration. As most people have already said we lacked in the final third with a killer ball or shot! It is still early days but we must learn from the mistakes because Home form will be the difference between Top half & Bottom Half finish, I would still like to see another experienced defender or two signed to beef the squad up and help shore up the back line a little as well as adding competition for places.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 20:27   #48
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
I though John Miles was awful today. He was awful against Wycombe to - he is simply not a winger.
I blame aurthur and branch for the first goal. Branch was slow the whole first half (seemed tired) and Aurthur probably should have come out for it.

I'd have to agree, Miles was poor.His runs lacked conviction and his crossing was dire,be it from open play or set pieces.
I couldn't fault Arthur today and certainly not for their first goal.Rocky Williams just seemed to switch off and leave their man totally unmarked.As for the penalty Williams gave away...he was lucky to escape without a caution,let alone see red.
We've don't seem to have learned much from last season with regards to the defensive display on show today.I still stand by what many have said before,in that we are short of Two decent defenders.
We do have plenty of options going forward and we were unlucky not to score today.However unless we learn how to defend better it's going to be another long,hard season.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 20:50   #49

i think alot of people are being abit harsh on miles. imho he was the best of our front 4. how he was taken off before evil boco or mullers is a mystery to me. as for the first goal rocky maybe shud of stayed with him but in my book anyone who scores with a header in the six yard box questions have got to be asked of the gk. i have athur at fault fo the leicester goal and one today. alot to prove as yet. on a positive note jay harris was outstandin. leighton looked sharp when he come on too his back heeled flick to cav would have been a great goal if cav hadnt of slipped. lets hope its just a little blip cos 3 nil did flatter them i thought.
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 20:59   #50
Senior Member+

Well having read this forum, I have to agree with the majority on this thread. We were dire today. Coley has agreed Kenny Arthur should have come for the ball with the first goal, but as others have said to be beaten by a poor fouling Darlington (2 bookings to nil to them, and even they could have been red in some refs eyes), we were even poorer. Thought Roberts had his worst game in a Stanley shirt and Cav was totally missing for their second goal. The penalty was a clumsy foul and I personally don't think it was malicious. But there again, I have also seen red and yellow cards given for those sort of challenges. Oh well, back to the grindstone for Lincoln, still early doors season wise, things can only get better.

Piston broke owd geezer, Stanley supporter and shareholder, Retired and loving it
Addendum, the views I express on here are my own, if you don't like them: TOUGH!
Outback Ozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 21:03   #51

totally frustrating standing on the clayton end today we get in some good positions within striking distance and no ****** will shoot,having said that both the doctor,cav and my MOTM Jay Harris (he played a blinder today) could have all scored,Leighton should have been brought on much earlier and IMO an unfit evil off,thought Branch and Roberts both looked solid,finally get boco off the wing and back to his more central position,
stanley convert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 00:14   #52
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakerz View Post
I love it! The old "they were poor, we were even poorer" line.

We are GREAT, do not ever forget it.
Three sloppy mistakes,three goals. Don't be planning trips to Hartlepool just yet on the strength of todays showing!!

Old 19-08-2007, 00:36   #53
Full Member+

Just a footnote. I thought Darlington had done their homework on Boco.Marked him out of the game. Evil does not look 100% fit yet ,but he's still putting the effort in.(let's get behind the lad and not barrack and abuse him) Roberts looked reasonably solid, but yet we are still wide open at the back at times. (where oh where was Cav for the second goal ??? Certainly not in position.)

I thought Whalley made a difference today when introduced along with Mcgivern.

Unless we learn where we went wrong last season,as said before,It'll be a long,hard season.

Old 19-08-2007, 09:57   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Monkey View Post
I went into the club house after the game to watch the MOTM presentation. After rolling over to have their tummies tickled against Darlo, like so many fluffy kittens. How did the players respond? Several of them spent the duration of the presentation speeches meowing back and forth to each other. The microphone was quite low and so it was impossible where I was standing to hear what was said. then, at the end, several supporters were nearly trampled in the rush for the door. Many of the players were obviously thinking they were still playing for "The Dog & Ferret" and that they owed their role as much committment as that would imply. .
They shamed us in front of the sponsors and visiting fans. they didn't care about the fans in the bar or the sponsors. I thought it was disgusting and the director of the club telling them to stop made them do it more. Gives me an insight into what the players think of Accrington Stanley FC

Too late now. I wish I had stood up and said something. Maybe next time.
poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 11:44   #55

just seen the goals on the championship. first goal was definitely arthurs. the second goal from what i can remember cav was marking a man on our left while we had a corner. i think i might be wrong but he won it after they cleared it and played it back to arthur and ended up at left back. that would explain why he wasnt in his normal position. i would wonder why it took our other defenders so lond to get back from the corner. The third i thought roberts should of headed so there wasnt much robbie could do once the forward was the wrong side of him. improvement needed!!!!!
rude-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 12:58   #56

Hmm-m....Terrible defensive record last season......three new guys at the back this season (well, Cav was out injured a lot previously).....the one constant imposter at centre-half - Mr `Rocky` Williams! The obvious conclusion.....not rocket science is it?
qualtrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 15:43   #57
Junior Member+

It is really annoying me the way people are having a go at Lee Mcevilly.... How do you expect him to come out on the pitch and perform when his own fans are doing nothing but slag him off ?? You come on here, call him a 'porker' say he looks un-fit... which fair enough if he is unfit .. but it seems like every other message is from fans having a go at Lee. Why dont you all give him a chance, stop having a go at him and maybe he will perfom a lot better.... if he is reading the things wrote about him on here im sure it would just put him on a downer and make him less keen to perform... maybe you should think about that you are all being nasty.... give the lad a chance !
Old 19-08-2007, 15:59   #58
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILFAN View Post
It is really annoying me the way people are having a go at Lee Mcevilly.... How do you expect him to come out on the pitch and perform when his own fans are doing nothing but slag him off ?? You come on here, call him a 'porker' say he looks un-fit... which fair enough if he is unfit .. but it seems like every other message is from fans having a go at Lee. Why dont you all give him a chance, stop having a go at him and maybe he will perfom a lot better.... if he is reading the things wrote about him on here im sure it would just put him on a downer and make him less keen to perform... maybe you should think about that you are all being nasty.... give the lad a chance !
If you read the posts, the majority are saying that a fit McEvilly would be a major asset to the team. Unfortunately he is a long way from being fit at the moment, which you yourself admit. Very few are calling him and writing him off. We all want a fit McEvilly!
Old 19-08-2007, 16:41   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
If you read the posts, the majority are saying that a fit McEvilly would be a major asset to the team. Unfortunately he is a long way from being fit at the moment, which you yourself admit. Very few are calling him and writing him off. We all want a fit McEvilly!

I want to be 21 again, with a 30 inch waist, and a lunchpack the size of Cruise Missile down my underpants. But, let's face it -It ain't gonna happen.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 16:46   #60
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thin Monkey View Post
I want to be 21 again, with a 30 inch waist, and a lunchpack the size of Cruise Missile down my underpants. But, let's face it -It ain't gonna happen.
Maybe not, but McEvilly is only 25, he's not that overweight (soon lose it if he put his mind to it), he's a full-time footballer and trains nearly everyday, and he has natural talent.

The opportunities are all there for him.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..