Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-08-2007, 16:55   #31
Member.

Re: vs Darlington

I think the lads are a stronger team than last year, battling for the ball more and pushing forward, it’s then we start ****ing it up with weak passing, powerless shots and bottling it in the box rather than taking a shot, there where some good play today but we where let down by the management team not the boys on the pitch, Whalley and McGivern should have been brought on as soon as Darlo got their second not at the end when the day was lost.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-08-2007, 17:27   #32
Super Moderator

Can't understand why Coley is persisting with Evil at the moment. He doesn't look fit to me. As others have said, Whalley and McGivern should have been on long before they were.
Old 18-08-2007, 17:32   #33
Junior Member+

Unlucky on the result today guys, we hammered Grimsby today but just couldn't find that second goal - 1-1 and we're 3rd
Old 18-08-2007, 17:35   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter the shaker View Post
Unlucky on the result today guys, we hammered Grimsby today but just couldn't find that second goal - 1-1 and we're 3rd
Should have brought Mangan on, I hear he's making a name for himself.

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 17:41   #35
Senior Member+

i seen D'sane at the service station on the M56

he seemed fit enough.

certainly more fit than Evil.

I though John Miles was awful today. He was awful against Wycombe to - he is simply not a winger.
Mullins was poor first half.
I blame aurthur and branch for the first goal. Branch was slow the whole first half (seemed tired) and Aurthur probably should have come out for it.

Think we really lack a strong ball winner in midfield who can marshall the team.
Some of the crossing was abysmal.

And what is the crappy music they played when the players came back on at half time? dreadful stuff.

nice to see the arguments over the smoking law!

We need more players and options. Midfield was poor today.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:01   #36

First game I've been to this season (I'm exiled in Brum) and a few things caught my eye.

Firstly, we played some really good football for most of the game, keeping the ball well and moving well. Like other people have said though, despite the neat passing we had no real penetration. I think Darlo put in a good, counter attacking performance just sitting deep while we passed it around in front of them, and hitting us on the break for their goals.

Secondly, I can't believe JC started Evil. Aside from the fact that playing him and Mullers together leaves us woefully short of pace up top, Evil looks like a right porker!! He looked a few yards off the pace and seemed more interested in creating openings by barging into people rather than playing football.

Finally, Whalley and McGivern looked lively when they came on and JC probably should have started them (Miles was disappointingly absent) but dropped a MASSIVE clanger by not bringing them on much sooner.

I think we've got the makings of a good side now, but it looks like it'll take a few weeks of working out the right system (Branch is underused at full back, as is Boco when played wide left) before we gel properly. I think it'll come together though, so heres to mid-table obscurity!
This Charming Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:05   #37

I went into the club house after the game to watch the MOTM presentation. After rolling over to have their tummies tickled against Darlo, like so many fluffy kittens. How did the players respond? Several of them spent the duration of the presentation speeches meowing back and forth to each other. The microphone was quite low and so it was impossible where I was standing to hear what was said. then, at the end, several supporters were nearly trampled in the rush for the door. Many of the players were obviously thinking they were still playing for "The Dog & Ferret" and that they owed their role as much committment as that would imply.

I thought we were beaten by a decent side but, as a fan, today's deafeat still hurt after the performance of Tuesday. It's a shame too many of the infants representing us obviously didn't feel the same way.

Last edited by Thin Monkey; 18-08-2007 at 18:08.
Thin Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:12   #38

No plusses to be taken from today's game. Even on last season's performances we didn't manage to lose 3-0 at home. Darlington were overall a poor side. After Tuesday's game against Leicester it looked as if we could view this season with confidence but what a let down today.
We could be in for a long season yet again.
3rd.Div.North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
There was very little happening in the last third of the field, which is strange when you consider our front line.
Maybe not so strange when you consider our back line.
Quakerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd.Div.North View Post
Darlington were overall a poor side.
I love it! The old "they were poor, we were even poorer" line.

We are GREAT, do not ever forget it.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:38   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quakerz View Post
We are GREAT, do not ever forget it.
Great timewasters maybe.

You should have spent enough to get out of this division, but not exactly good to watch are you?

Now it’s out in the open, there are no secrets at the club.
Oggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 18:40   #42

I didn't go today but we were fine to watch last week. Playing away is all about getting the result at the end of the day.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:46   #43
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
Great timewasters maybe.
Does`nt matter how much time they wasted, we never looked like scoring all match. I saved more goals than their keeper!!

Speaking to some Darlo fans after the match, they praised our passing but pointed out it all broke down in the final third (Like I don`t know) and that they were pretty poor. But it`s results that count and this is one too sweep under the carpet.
Old 18-08-2007, 18:59   #44
Junior Member+

Contrary to what most of my Darlo comrades have been saying on messageboards etc. I thought we were pretty poor today, especially second half.

We lost all shape when Ravenhill went off injured and didn't really recover. I thought Accrington had loads of chances to get into the game at various stages of the 90 but looked poor in front of goal. Stockdale made some good saves in the first half, mind.

Our first two goals were excellently worked to be fair and the penalty was as blatent as they come. Didn't think our time-wasting antics exceeded the norm for the situation.

Overall two poor performances from both sides IMO. Accy really should have capitalised from a rather shaky Darlo defensive display (crosses into the box STILL a problem. Foster, White and Ryan getting turned a lot, etc.) but our quality in the front line shone through. I mean Abbott today; class apart.
nick_darlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2007, 19:16   #45
Senior Member+

Joachim was always a threat in the first half.

it was a shame he switched to a more defensive role after darlo scored.

u can see his quality.

the more i think about it, the more coleman messed up today with his team selection.

why is d'sane not getting involved?
he left before the 3rd goal today.
we need some pace up front.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..