Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > DVD/TV/Film Discussion
Donate! Join Today

DVD/TV/Film Discussion If you sit in front of a screen and watch it, here's the place to discuss it.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 10:01   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: The best decade for TV comedy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
You cross the decades then Cashy -that's not fair! Hated Tommy Cooper and wasn't keen on Rising Damp meself...

Did like Ken Dodd as a littl'un though!
I spent a week as Tommy Coopers minder in the 70s, didn't stop laughing for a week, mind you I loved him anyway, Tommy was the only performer that I saw at the Cav who suffered from chronic Stage Fright, he was a nervous wreck before he went on stage, always necked the best part of a bottle whisky before he went on. He had so many idiosyncrasies, the same taxi driver the same minder the same waitress every night, I always had to go to the Saxon with the taxi driver every night to pick him up, then go up to his room and get him, his first question was "whats the punters like tonight John" great Tommy just great, "are you sure" But what a week that was
Old 06-11-2011, 10:04   #17
Resting in Peace

Re: The best decade for TV commedy...

I think one of my favourite comedy shows was Till Death Us Do Part, can't understand why they don't repeat them on Satellite TV these days the show everything else
Old 06-11-2011, 11:08   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I think one of my favourite comedy shows was Till Death Us Do Part, can't understand why they don't repeat them on Satellite TV these days the show everything else
Probably because Alf Garnett expressed views that would be seen as too politically incorrect these days. It would be interesting to see them though.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 11:36   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Probably because Alf Garnett expressed views that would be seen as too politically incorrect these days. It would be interesting to see them though.
Well he certainly told the truth did our Alf, Tony Booth was a Scouse Git
Old 06-11-2011, 21:32   #20
God Member

Quote:
I spent a week as Tommy Coopers minder in the 70s, didn't stop laughing for a week, mind you I loved him anyway, Tommy was the only performer that I saw at the Cav who suffered from chronic Stage Fright, he was a nervous wreck before he went on stage, always necked the best part of a bottle whisky before he went on. He had so many idiosyncrasies, the same taxi driver the same minder the same waitress every night, I always had to go to the Saxon with the taxi driver every night to pick him up, then go up to his room and get him, his first question was "whats the punters like tonight John" great Tommy just great, "are you sure" But what a week that was
Knowing the inside story makes all the difference...!
Need to come another time to sort out what you know....Hope Gary will come to see you...in the meantime
<<<<Next time I'm in UK will sort out what i need to know...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 22:35   #21
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Though me memory of decades aint great,after giving this some thought, possibly the decade since the millennium is the best- The parliament Channel on sky, 24 hrs a day all top class comedians.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:13   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Though me memory of decades ain't great,after giving this some thought, possibly the decade since the millennium is the best- The parliament Channel on sky, 24 hrs a day all top class comedians.
That's not comedy that's sadism
Old 08-11-2011, 15:34   #23
white rabbits

I loved George and the Dragon,,,i think i am a lot like Peggy Mount,,,lol
but i love the modern day Outnumbered..it reminds me of my grandkids
Old 08-11-2011, 17:54   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
I loved George and the Dragon,,,i think i am a lot like Peggy Mount,,,lol
but i love the modern day Outnumbered..it reminds me of my grandkids
Thats what we used to call the Landlord and Landlady of the Great Tree in Hassy, he was called George
Old 11-11-2011, 16:25   #25
God Member

The following is a tribute to the brilliant commedy of Dad's Army. On a sombre day like today it's good to remember the spirit which kept the Nation holding it's head high and fighting in dark days - ridiculing the enemy and joking about him in order to lessen his power was a secret weapon used to boost moral and keep the flag flying...

(Apart from the annoying voice-over and the sound which is better kept low this is a gem showing all the best of the series.......worth watching.)

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-11-2011, 17:41   #26
Give, give, give member

Don't tell them your name, Mobertol.

Stupid girl!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 17:49   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Don't tell them your name, Mobertol.

Stupid girl!

Watch it or I'll put you on the list!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 11-11-2011, 17:59   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Watch it or I'll put you on the list!
What list is that then
Old 11-11-2011, 18:23   #29
God Member

Quote:
What list is that then
You have to watch the video Jay - it's one of the most famous scenes from Dad's Army when the German's arrive and Pike sings a song about Hitler...
Captain Mainwering (Sp?) says "don't tell him your name Pike" and of course he always referred to Pike as "Stupid Boy"...

Well that's flogged it to death....

~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 11-11-2011 at 18:30.
Old 11-11-2011, 18:48   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
You have to watch the video Jay - it's one of the most famous scenes from Dad's Army when the German's arrive and Pike sings a song about Hitler...
Captain Mainwering (Sp?) says "don't tell him your name Pike" and of course he always referred to Pike as "Stupid Boy"...

Well that's flogged it to death....
Ya think I've seen that an odd time over the last 30 years

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..