Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   Local doorstep deliveries? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/local-doorstep-deliveries-47789.html)

derekgas 09-06-2009 19:19

Re: Local doorstep deliveries?

I was young once too! And funnily enough, from the age of 13 helped deliver the milk, and had my own window cleaning round until I sold it (cheap) to go to learn a trade!!

Gayle 09-06-2009 20:57

We get milk delivered. I've always had a milkman which is strange because I don't like milk.
I get my newspapers delivered.

In fact I pretty much get most things delivered because I use Asda and Amazon who do everything else.

Neil 09-06-2009 21:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 720157)
We get milk delivered. I've always had a milkman which is strange because I don't like milk.
I get my newspapers delivered.

In fact I pretty much get most things delivered because I use Asda and Amazon who do everything else.

Have you a number for your milkman? It is probably the one that will go around to Margarets

Gayle 10-06-2009 07:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 720166)
Have you a number for your milkman? It is probably the one that will go around to Margarets

Milkman - 01254 396338

MargaretR 10-06-2009 07:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 720238)
Milkman - 01254 396338

Got that :D thank you

jaysay 10-06-2009 09:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by MargaretR (Post 720002)
If you can get me the phone number of one of them, I would appreciate it.

I'll try and catch one Margaret, they don't have their vans painted with livery these days, but if I can ill see if I can get a number of one of them

MargaretR 10-06-2009 10:12

I have a stock of UHT which I will reduce before I approach a milk delivery man.
I think that some may refuse because no-one around me has milk delivered, and they may not be willing to expand their route for just me.
There is another potential problem - I would want it delivered to my front door (up 13 steps in a communal stairwell) - the entry door to the stairwell isn't unlocked until 6am.

So the more phone numbers of delivery men I have, the more chance I have of finding one who will suit my needs.

I know it might sound petty to say I need it delivered to my front door, but I don't want to descend the communal staircase in my nightclothes to collect it.
I live in a block of 4 flats, and all the other flats are occupied by single men (one of whom is not 'full shilling')

entwisi 10-06-2009 10:31

Perkins Butchers on Union Road do deliveries as well. My mum uses them once a week.

MargaretR 17-06-2009 16:40

I have just had a cold call visit from 'Gisburn Farm' who will deliver me a pint a day, up the steps and on my doorstep, after 6 am. starting next Monday -happy now :)

derekgas 17-06-2009 20:02

Nice to know you got this sorted out Margaret, is good when a plan comes together. :D I saw a big van/wagon on willows lane today, 2 asian lads selling fresh fruit and veg, was a blue van at about 5.30, never seen it before, so i dont know if it is a regular visit.

south aussie 18-06-2009 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 719990)
There are a couple of milkmen deliver on our estate Margaret, I know Best is one and there's another

Would the Best be a relative of Clarence Best, i remember him delivering milk in the late 50,s early 60,s,with a horse & cart .
The old horse knew at which house to stop for the milk to be delivered.
Can anyone remember a man on White Ash Lane [BOB ISHERWOOD?],who delivered fruit & veg from a truck?
We had our milk delivered by Peter Brownlow,and coal by Jimmy Hope.

MargaretR 09-09-2009 09:53

I have cancelled milk deliveries.
The delivery service was impeccable, and the whole raw milk was delicious.
The reason? - I found this lecture
http://video.google.com/googleplayer...52245997479572

Since consuming 5 pints of this delicous milk per week, I have had a recurrance of my chronic diarrhoea.

This lecture is rather long - 1hr 20 mins
If you dont have the time to watch all of it, just start to look at 40mins in where there is a list of all the common medical problems caused or aggravated by consumption of dairy products.
The part of the lecture before 40mins is very a technical explanation of the digestion of dairy products.

I hope that by eliminating dairy products I will alleviate my
fatigue
diarrhoea
breathing difficulties

Other medical problems mentioned
cataracts
infertility
asthma
diabetes
rheumatoid arthritis
..............to name just a few.

So if you have health problems it might be worth watching all this video lecture, and maybe having a test period of eliminating dairy products might be worthwhile, in order to decide what is best for you.
I will need to eat more green veg, grains, beans and legumes, to get enough calcium. Calcium is the only good thing that milk provides.

There is a section which discusses soy milk, and says that it is better than cows milk.
I disagree- because it disrupts your hormones, so I consider it the lesser of 2 evils.

To make an informed decision you need to be informed.
That is why I have posted this - you need to decide for yourself - take responsibily for your own health.