Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   The Gobbin Lamp (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/the-gobbin-lamp-59342.html)

Bee 25-09-2011 18:57

The Gobbin Lamp

The Gobbin Lamp is to be restored :jimbo: :jimbo: :do-one: :do-one:;
Oswaldtwistle's Gobbin Lamp set to shine again (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Neil 25-09-2011 19:19

re: The Gobbin Lamp

The lamp sits in LCC land at the library.
There was a proposal a few years ago to move it across the road to Jubilee Gardens which is HBC land.

That was a very interesting Area Council meeting, one of the best I have attended :D

Tealeaf 25-09-2011 19:32

I'll give it two weeks before its nicked for scrap.

MargaretR 25-09-2011 21:42

In my 1940s childhood there wasn't a lamp there, although the phrase 'above t'lamp' was in use.
I was glad to see that the news article makes this clear
"The original lamp, a gas lamp, was removed many years ago and a campaign for its return saw two lamps, based on the original style, installed in the early 1970s, although only one of those now remains. "
It may well have been melted down for war munitions, just as house garden railings were.

jaysay 26-09-2011 08:44

Re: The Gobbin Lamp

I'm not sure where abouts I live now above or below the lamp, I've a feeling that MargaretR and Mez might be just below and I must be just above

Bob Dobson 26-09-2011 09:11

Jaysay - if you have to ask that question, then clearly you are a gobbin and, in my humble opinion, a Gobbin.

I am told that there are no photos of the original 'big lamp' , so if you know of one, I will arrange for it to be copied and made available.

The position of the big lamp is a source of embarrassment to me, as I wrote a book in the 70s in which I said that it was situated outside the Palladium. I had sought the opinion of Benita Moore before penning it. Luckily, the book went into a second edition and I was able to put the record straight. 'Big lamps' figure in the folk-lore of several Lancashire towns, marking the line or position above or below which a resident is a gobbin or similar word meaning a person of little intelligence.

jaysay 26-09-2011 09:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 936015)
Jaysay - if you have to ask that question, then clearly you are a gobbin and, in my humble opinion, a Gobbin.

I am told that there are no photos of the original 'big lamp' , so if you know of one, I will arrange for it to be copied and made available.

The position of the big lamp is a source of embarrassment to me, as I wrote a book in the 70s in which I said that it was situated outside the Palladium. I had sought the opinion of Benita Moore before penning it. Luckily, the book went into a second edition and I was able to put the record straight. 'Big lamps' figure in the folk-lore of several Lancashire towns, marking the line or position above or below which a resident is a gobbin or similar word meaning a person of little intelligence.

Think you got me wrong Bob, Where I live I think must be just above the place the lamp was situated, but I'm not 100% sure, I can't see through houses, but by my reckoning I'm on the boarder line, I was born bellow the Lamp by the way, a long way bellow:D

Bee 26-09-2011 15:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 935940)
The lamp sits in LCC land at the library.
There was a proposal a few years ago to move it across the road to Jubilee Gardens which is HBC land.

That was a very interesting Area Council meeting, one of the best I have attended :D

Here's the "move the lamp" thread;
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...amp-12391.html

Wynonie Harris 26-09-2011 16:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 936024)
I was born bellow the Lamp by the way, a long way bellow:D

and about four miles west! ;)

jaysay 26-09-2011 17:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 936052)
and about four miles west! ;)

If I've told you once I've told you a million times don't exaggerate:D

Wynonie Harris 26-09-2011 18:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 936062)
If I've told you once I've told you a million times don't exaggerate:D

You were the one who told me your were born in Blackburn when I was on one of my "support your local football club" rants! ;)

jaysay 26-09-2011 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 936069)
You were the one who told me your were born in Blackburn when I was on one of my "support your local football club" rants! ;)

Ya thats right but was brought up from being about 5 days old bellow the lamp in Ossy, but those 5 early days were enough to make me a life long Rover;)

Wynonie Harris 26-09-2011 18:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 936074)
Ya thats right but was brought up from being about 5 days old bellow the lamp in Ossy, but those 5 early days were enough to make me a life long Rover;)

Yes, well, I have given you special dispensation, so carry on with my blessing. ;)

Tealeaf 26-09-2011 20:04

What exactly is meant by this phrase 'below the lamp'? The library stands on that part of Union road which roughly runs in an East-West direction. So is anyone north of the line where the lamp stands a Gobbiner/Gobbinlander? Or is it the other way round? Or is it something to do with it's position just by Union Rd, in which case it's totally meaningless - which is something to be expected from anyone from Ossy.

MargaretR 26-09-2011 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf (Post 936092)
What exactly is meant by this phrase 'below the lamp'? The library stands on that part of Union road which roughly runs in an East-West direction. So is anyone north of the line where the lamp stands a Gobbiner/Gobbinlander? Or is it the other way round? Or is it something to do with it's position just by Union Rd, in which case it's totally meaningless - which is something to be expected from anyone from Ossy.

The land is lower - think Tinker Brew.
Are you one of those people who thinks a trip to Scotland is all uphill?:rolleyes::D