Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Oswaldtwistle (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/)
-   -   Horses over Harvey street fields (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f103/horses-over-harvey-street-fields-63840.html)

westendlass 22-03-2013 12:12

Horses over Harvey street fields

Does anyone know anything about the two horses tethered up at the front of Wordsworth Close.? They have been outside in all weather for a few weeks. I see them on my way to work every day. Surely they should be in some sort of shelter in this weather, it's snowing and blowing a gale as I type, poor things.!

Sunflower49 22-03-2013 12:18

Re: Horses over Harvey street fields

Is it possible they belong to travellers/gypsies? Have they not got any rugs on even? :(

westendlass 22-03-2013 12:23

Hi Sugarmouse, one has a rug on and the other has nothing. I've seen somebody taking food in buckets for them and then go. Think they may be travellers. They look a sorry sight in this weather.

Sunflower49 22-03-2013 13:10

I've just had a look on the BHS website-having not seen them I can't be 100% sure they fall into the category of horses that should be reported as neglected.

"There are many reasons why a horse or pony should be reported to us. These include:
Significantly underweight or overweight animals
Lack of water or food
Overgrown or poorly-kept hooves
Obviously untreated injury or disease
Poisonous plants in the field
Unsafe field or stable conditions
Abandoned animals
Incorrect tethering...."

What do you think?
I've inboxed you their number-wasn't sure if I'm allowed to post it on here. It's freely available on their website though.

westendlass 22-03-2013 13:28

They don't seem ill or anything, I'm just concerned that they have no shelter at all. Thanks for the inbox message.!

susie123 22-03-2013 13:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1048359)
They don't seem ill or anything, I'm just concerned that they have no shelter at all. Thanks for the inbox message.!

If they are travellers' horses they're probably used to it.

Neil 22-03-2013 14:02

HBC have a policy on horses tethered on their land without permission. They serve notice and then have them removed.

westendlass 22-03-2013 17:00

Just back from work so I haven't been able to look in to it yet but thanks for your replies. I'll post how it goes.

DaveinGermany 22-03-2013 17:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1048361)
They serve notice and then have them removed.

Removing them to Tescos isn't much of an improvement. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, surely one of the animal welfare organisations should have a look see.

westendlass 22-03-2013 18:34

It's blowing a blizzard outside, apparently the coldest March in fifty years, gonna get on this ASAP.

jaysay 22-03-2013 18:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by westendlass (Post 1048398)
It's blowing a blizzard outside, apparently the coldest March in fifty years, gonna get on this ASAP.

the RSPCA might be a good idea WL

accyman 22-03-2013 18:42

is it wise to leave horses unattended so close to a tesco ?

joking aside unless they are having a trough of water left for them i would suggest they dont have water so qualify for neglect

westendlass 22-03-2013 19:15

Just rung the rspca and explained the situation and they have said that as long as someone is tending to and feeding / watering them every day, which I think they are , then the fact that they are outside in the elements won't bother them. She said that a horse can be covered with a layer of snow but they have their own built in temp regulation system. Still feel for them.!

Sunflower49 22-03-2013 19:28

I always feel sorry for them, too !
If they are travellers horses and/or are mixed breed or a hardy breed that is accustomed to being outside, Susie is right, they will quite possibly be okay outside.
You are right to be concerned though-it's nice to see that other people are concerned. I don't suppose you got close enough to see if their hooves were healthy or that they didn't have visible injuries or were underweight?

westendlass 22-03-2013 19:34

They look okay, not underweight, I couldn't see their hooves as they are on grass so I'm hoping they are going to be alright. Still think they should have some shelter though.