Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2012, 09:56   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Big Issue outside the Co-op

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
For some time I've thought that there was something a bit dodgy about the Big Issue seller in Accrington.
Then I watched a TV programme last year which proved that there was a link to Romanian gypsies who were using the Big Issue in Britain to fund lavish lifestyles in Romania. I'm not saying that the Accrington seller is part of this but I certainly wouldn't dream of ever buying a Big Issue from anyone, I don't agree with begging of any kind or aggressive selling. I find her sales technique to be offensive and wish that she could be stopped by the council.
I've only seen this woman a few times anne and she's never really bothered me, but you can't really tar everybody with the same brush, selling the big issue has helped a lot of people climb out of the gutter and take up a useful roll in society, so it can't be all bad really
Old 11-03-2012, 12:46   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

I don't regard the woman in accy centre as n aggressive seller, all she does is call out "Big Issue" as folk are passing. To me if yeh think thats aggressive, perhaps you got n issue Anne?
Old 11-03-2012, 16:28   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
I don't regard the woman in accy centre as n aggressive seller, all she does is call out "Big Issue" as folk are passing. To me if yeh think thats aggressive, perhaps you got n issue Anne?
No I don't find her to be aggressive other than the fact that she's in your face when you walk past which annoys me, I've just had the impression that what you see isn't what you get, no evidence just gut instinct, then I saw a documentary about Romanian gypsies living in luxury in Romania from an organised racket from Big Issue sales. Have you noticed that the woman in Accrington is a different one than previously but still spouting the same sycophantic "Biig Iisue Daarling" drivel?
I do however know that The Big Issue has done a great deal of good for homeless people and I have been known to buy an awful lot of the same copy from different sellers in the past.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 18:31   #19
JFT96

I used to buy one from a vendor in Manchester most weeks, his pitch was outside M&S, if I had time I would usually ask if he had eaten today, most of the time it was a no. Some fruit, a sandwich and a orange juice later would put paid to that.
Recently I haven't bought one, we now tend to go to Preston, parkings cheaper! Same shops, there used to be a seller outside St George's mall, same thing again.
It's a personal choice, some people give to every charity in the street, some don't give at all, my mother in law gives to anyone who askes, while the guy I fly with, cannot help but drop money into every collecting box he see's.
I have no problem with charities, I just don't like being made o feel guilty about not giving.
For the record, I sponsor a boy in Sierra Leone and try to Give Blood and sometimes get a big issue, as I can afford to.

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2012, 21:50   #20

thought id check Big Issue website as for some reason I always thought there was a time limit on how long they could sell the rag for, but found this
If you are:
Homeless or rough sleeping
In temporary accommodation
In danger of losing a home
Unemployed and facing financial crisis
You can start selling immediately. Starting with the Big Issue couldn’t simpler:
We have lots of spare pitches & a great magazine
You will receive free copies to get you started
We offer training & support to all new vendors
We have 63 distribution points nationwide and pitches available across the UK
Just contact your nearest office in person or by telephone and staff will be able to advise you on how to get started.

It’s easy. Once you start you buy the magazines at £1.25 and sell to your customers at £2.50, keeping the difference to spend as you like! Once you become a vendor you will also have access to support around issues of housing, health, training and much, much more. We look forward to welcoming you to the Big Issue soon! Click here to see some of our vendor success stories and the life changing experience it can be.

Now hasn't there been an article about this "homeless" woman in the Accy Observer before, saying she lives in Manchester with her kids, so she's obviously not homeless, if she's claiming benefits as i'd put money on that she is, is she declaring her earnings, NO would be the answer. Stop buying it from her its a con
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 09:51   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
Now hasn't there been an article about this "homeless" woman in the Accy Observer before, saying she lives in Manchester with her kids, so she's obviously not homeless, if she's claiming benefits as i'd put money on that she is, is she declaring her earnings, NO would be the answer. Stop buying it from her its a con

If I remember the article correctly she stated that she was not collecting benefits, so I think you are incorrect asking people not to buy from her without getting the facts together first.
She obviously qualifies to get copies of the magazine, or she would not be selling them.

Your statment could reduce her earnings to such an extent that she will then have to collect benefits, so it will then be your fault.

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2012 at 12:05. Reason: fix quote
davemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 11:14   #22

Here is a link to a story about a Big Issue scam Benefits boulevard: 'Built in Romania - with YOUR money | Mail Online

Last edited by Neil; 30-03-2012 at 12:07.
Old 30-03-2012, 11:52   #23
Senior Member+

And how does this advance the big issue debate!!!, other than lazy posting by just putting a link without comment.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:17   #24
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemac View Post
And how does this advance the big issue debate!!!, other than lazy posting by just putting a link without comment.
And how do yeh know there was no comment? Its been edited.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:26   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
And how do yeh know there was no comment? Its been edited.
Cashy I think Neil edited it to put the text in beside the link. When I first saw it there was no comment.
Old 30-03-2012, 12:57   #26
Senior Member+

Its like that program "catchphrase" say what you see.

It was edited after I posted, so there
Old 30-03-2012, 13:39   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Cashy I think Neil edited it to put the text in beside the link. When I first saw it there was no comment.
Sorry for the confusion but I did not want to remove the other posts after I added a comment to the link. I did not want to just remove the post with no description as I felt it might be interesting to other members.
Old 30-03-2012, 14:06   #28

Sorry I thought the link was self explanatory.
Old 30-03-2012, 15:28   #29
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Sorry I thought the link was self explanatory.
The forum often manages to describe the link itself but the rules say you must describe what the link you have posted is for so members know what they are clicking
Old 30-03-2012, 18:05   #30

Ok thanks I'll remember that in future.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..