Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2005, 16:40   #1
Give, give, give member

Bloomin' money.

Oswaldtwistle's main road now has a foral display to rival the hanging gardens of Babylon. Every other shop has been given a winter hanging basket, fully erected, but it's up to the shop owners to water.

It does look very nice but who funded it? Peter Britcliffe himself came and talked my Mum into having one, is it funded by the Council?

I'm sure if PB's involved we'll be reading about it in next week's Observer, with accompanying smiley pic.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-12-2005, 16:47   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Bloomin' money.

It is funded by Oswaldtwistle Area Council. You really should attend the meetings you might learn something.
Old 11-12-2005, 16:48   #3
Member.

I went to Ossy Mills this afternoon and didn’t see any hanging baskets rindy. What I will say is the Christmas Tree outside Accrington Town Hall is decaying on the Market Hall side and could do with a few more lights.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 16:48   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It is funded by Oswaldtwistle Area Council. You really should attend the meetings you might learn something.
Why keep a dog and lick your own...........no that's not right, why keep a dog and bark yourself?

That's why I cultivate you.

Old 11-12-2005, 16:51   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
I went to Ossy Mills this afternoon and didn’t see any hanging baskets rindy. What I will say is the Christmas Tree outside Accrington Town Hall is decaying on the Market Hall side and could do with a few more lights.
Idon't know where thet start on Union Road, but they are certainly all along the road by the Town Hall. Perhaps they are still putting them up, as they've only just appeared.

Pansies are so pretty in winter.

Old 11-12-2005, 16:51   #6
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Why keep a dog and lick your own...........no that's not right, why keep a dog and bark yourself?

That's why I cultivate you.
Off thread I know but for god sake I hope your not offering to lick his.... Neil is right though, you shouldn't moan if you don't get involved..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-12-2005, 16:54   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Off thread I know but for god sake I hope your not offering to lick his.... Neil is right though, you shouldn't moan if you don't get involved..
I'm not moaning, I think it looks great. I knew it was going to happen a couple of months ago when PB asked my Mum. I just wondered who had funded it.

Old 11-12-2005, 16:57   #8
Member.

Quote:
Idon't know where thet start on Union Road, but they are certainly all along the road by the Town Hall. Perhaps they are still putting them up, as they've only just appeared.

Pansies are so pretty in winter.
I'm not a lover of Pansies, winter or otherwise. I think that subtle should be the key to winter displays. However, should we not be grateful for the effort that’s being made?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-12-2005, 17:04   #9
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I'm not a lover of Pansies, winter or otherwise. I think that subtle should be the key to winter displays. However, should we not be grateful for the effort that’s being made?
Suprisingly for me I was being flippant. They are very well planted, with cyclamen, ivies, heathers, as well as the ubiquitous winter pansies. Nothing cheap.

Old 11-12-2005, 17:08   #10
God Member

I think the plan is that as winter ends, underneath the winter plants are some bulbs that will start growing and flowering in Spring so they'll look lovely then as well. I thought that was quite a clever idea.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2005, 17:12   #11
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I think the plan is that as winter ends, underneath the winter plants are some bulbs that will start growing and flowering in Spring so they'll look lovely then as well. I thought that was quite a clever idea.
I agree, that sounds a nice Idea.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-12-2005, 17:16   #12
Give, give, give member

I think it's a great idea, and applaud whoever did it.

I was just worried it may have been a sweetner, especially regarding the election budgets mentioned in another thread.

Old 11-12-2005, 17:29   #13
Member.

Everything as a cost, my view is spend what’s available and bring the area alive again. The less spent on the trade of politics and more committed to deeds the better. I love the area, all of it, but I’m often disappointed with what I see.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 11-12-2005, 17:31   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Everything as a cost, my view is spend what’s available and bring the area alive again. The less spent on the trade of politics and more committed to deeds the better. I love the area, all of it, but I’m often disappointed with what I see.
I'm disappointed you were only two minutes away but never called in for a cup of tea.

Old 11-12-2005, 17:47   #15
Member.

Quote:
I'm disappointed you were only two minutes away but never called in for a cup of tea.
We could have, Joyce would have liked to meet you. I wasn't in the best of moods having to shop on a walking day (I should have been 2800 feet up a mountain), but then I did offer and it isChristmas.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..