Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2011, 07:26   #1
Bee
I am Banned

Dog attacked

Oh dear;
Dog Attack last Sunday
Pensioner's dog attacked during walk in Oswaldtwistle (From Lancashire Telegraph)

Last edited by Mick; 04-07-2011 at 07:32.
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-07-2011, 07:55   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Dog attacked

A few months ago I was asked by residents, Councillors and Council Officers if i had heard about a dog that had been killed in Rhyddings park by another dog. I asked the police about it and they had heard nothing so I dismissed it as a story.

Unfortunately I often see children walking dogs without an adult. I don't agree with this no matter the size of the dog. I have made my views on dogs and how they should all be chipped and DNA finger printed at the owners costs several times an here. I still think it is the only way to control them and dog fouling as many owners are not responsible enough.

A good friend of mine has a couple of Staffies, well looked after and behaved dogs, they are very strong though and would drag most 14 year olds down the road if they wanted.

The dog laws in this country are a joke and always have been. Lets hope this government will sort it out where previous ones have let us down. Don't hold your breath though because dog owners vote and it would be bad for re election.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:29   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
A few months ago I was asked by residents, Councillors and Council Officers if i had heard about a dog that had been killed in Rhyddings park by another dog. I asked the police about it and they had heard nothing so I dismissed it as a story.

Unfortunately I often see children walking dogs without an adult. I don't agree with this no matter the size of the dog. I have made my views on dogs and how they should all be chipped and DNA finger printed at the owners costs several times an here. I still think it is the only way to control them and dog fouling as many owners are not responsible enough.

A good friend of mine has a couple of Staffies, well looked after and behaved dogs, they are very strong though and would drag most 14 year olds down the road if they wanted.

The dog laws in this country are a joke and always have been. Lets hope this government will sort it out where previous ones have let us down. Don't hold your breath though because dog owners vote and it would be bad for re election.
I totally agree with your sentiments Niel but when, in some cases, you struggle to get people to pick up after their dogs, what chances do you stand, government legislation or not to make this happen
Old 04-07-2011, 13:44   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I totally agree with your sentiments Niel but when, in some cases, you struggle to get people to pick up after their dogs, what chances do you stand, government legislation or not to make this happen
After dropping the kids off at school I went for a walk around the park and was taking with some dog walkers. One of them said she thinks all dogs should be chipped and licensed (like they used to be). When I asked what would she do about un chipped/licensed dogs or strays she said they should be taken away and if not collected with owner fined or whatever for it not being legal should be destroyed. I was surprised by her comment and she said it may sound cruel but its the only way in her opinion. This lady is both a breeder and trainer of dogs.

She was of the opinion that if you cant afford the license then you can't afford to have a dog.

I told her I had similar opinions. She then told me she believes parks etc having fenced off areas to allow dogs to run off the lead. She is fed up of everything in parks being for kids and nothing for dogs (except bins).

She made a lot of sense.

They news story above is about a dog being attacked but it could have been a child, the government needs to do something.
Old 04-07-2011, 15:02   #5
Beacon of light

Neil, it is all well and good talking about all dogs being chipped and licensed, but these regulations would be useless if not adequately policed........and they would not be policed because that would cost money.
For every irresponsible dog owner there are a hundred who are responsible and will do the right thing(by that I mean, have their dog on a lead, pick up after their dog,not allow their dog to roam, muzzle their dog if necessary).
The ones who don't do this are probably those who keep dogs to intimidate others, use their dogs a s a status symbol.
There are no bad dogs......only bad owners.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 15:05   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I agree and good owners should want things sorting out like the one telling me what she thinks this morning
Old 04-07-2011, 15:26   #7
Beacon of light

I think the good owners see themselves as such and don't really want to be regulated.
They don't see the need as they 'police' themselves.......and they know that licenses mean absolutely nothing, because no-one will police them. It will feel like a stealth tax, at a time when many people are feeling the pinch...especially those on fixed incomes.

I know this is a huge generalisation, but I think many of the young men with what look like Staffie type dogs...are probably not working, would not pay any fines that unlicensed animals might accrue, and is it really fair to condemn a dog to death because it has a bad owner? It is not the fault of the dog.
My mum has a little papillon dog....rescued. He never goes out of the house unless he is on the lead, and for toilet purposes uses the backyard.......which Ma then swills using her outside water supply.
I'm not saying that Ma would not pay for a license, but why should she be penalised when she takes care of her animal appropriately.
It is the same old story the law abiding owners pay for the sins of the bad owners......and do you really think it would cut down on events like this?
Old 04-07-2011, 17:43   #8
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think the good owners see themselves as such and don't really want to be regulated.
They don't see the need as they 'police' themselves.......and they know that licenses mean absolutely nothing, because no-one will police them. It will feel like a stealth tax, at a time when many people are feeling the pinch...especially those on fixed incomes.

I know this is a huge generalisation, but I think many of the young men with what look like Staffie type dogs...are probably not working, would not pay any fines that unlicensed animals might accrue, and is it really fair to condemn a dog to death because it has a bad owner? It is not the fault of the dog.
My mum has a little papillon dog....rescued. He never goes out of the house unless he is on the lead, and for toilet purposes uses the backyard.......which Ma then swills using her outside water supply.
I'm not saying that Ma would not pay for a license, but why should she be penalised when she takes care of her animal appropriately.
It is the same old story the law abiding owners pay for the sins of the bad owners......and do you really think it would cut down on events like this?
They seem to have a whole different approach to this matter in the good old US of A, the animal wardens there are even armed, and having watched lots of programs on this subject covering the states its quite evident that if you don't look after your animals in the RIGHT way you suffer the consequences, the only trouble being is it costs money, which always seems to be in very short supply for this sort of thing here
Old 04-07-2011, 17:48   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

As I've mentioned before ours is chipped, insured & registered with the Stadt (Town) & every year we pay "Hunde steuer" a Dog tax for having the Mutt. Furthermore as of 1st July 2011, the County has brought in more rules to govern Dog ownership.

Anyone living in the County (or visiting for more than 2 Months) owning a Dog has to have it chipped & insured, this goes for "Working dogs" watch Dogs in a factory, yard etc, then from 2013 anyone wanting to own a Dog will have to do a handlers course, theory & practical, which has to be passed.

Folk who've owned Dogs or still have one (for at least 2 consecutive years & can prove their long term ownership & responsibility from 01/07/2003 to 01/07/2013) the test will be waived. And to finally put the cherry on the top of the cake, a central register will be opened & all owners & their pets have to be registered within along with dates confirming the beginning & end of ownership.

So what do you think of that ? I know what I think & I believe this will lead to more abandoned animals in the long term.
Old 04-07-2011, 18:55   #10
Beacon of light

I'm sure you are right Dave........and I think that many animals who are in centres waiting to be homed will find it difficult to be placed.
After all we all take on the responsibility of an animal when our circumstances are in the pink(so to speak)....circumstances change, frequently for the worse.
Making the ownership of a dog more costly(and without any real benefits...because the rules may be brought in and not policed......and anyway the bad owners will flout regulations) will lead to healthy animals(family pets) being euthanised or abandoned, purely on a basis of cost.
Old 04-07-2011, 20:17   #11

typical germans - & i mean that in a positive way. Lived there some years ago. They're of a different mentality a much more law obiding & person than alot of brits and are much tougher in dealng with law breakers - they dont take no messing. Seen the police in action! Unfortunately some people arent fit to have dogs or kids. Totally irresponsible lettin kids out with what must be known to be an aggressive dog. Year or 2 ago my little dog was almost attacked by another - you guessed it being walked by couple of kids. Fortuately partner launched it but it came back for another do. And that's why his kids have never been allowed to take mine out without one of us present. Dont know what the answer is specially for us responsible owners. I hope both the poor old chap & dog recover. The story has inspired me to want to help towards his vet fee.
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 20:47   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
So what do you think of that ? I know what I think & I believe this will lead to more abandoned animals in the long term.
I think it sounds good Dave.

Responsible owners will follow the rules, those that are not will probably abandon the dog like you say.

I was surprised with the lady I spoke to when she said they should be killed but I do agree. We have to many irresponsible owners and they give the good ones a bad name. I agree about the training course idea as well. Its the owners fault for making a bad dog bad not the poor dogs fault.
Old 04-07-2011, 21:16   #13

hi neil. I agree that there's times when dogs have to be destroyed. That pains me being a dog lover & owner of many years. However it's not always but is usually down to owners not knowing how to train & control a dog. I know of a police dog handler whose dog turned on him. He was absolutely devastated & no one could come up with a theory why it happened. I've been learning alot more about dog behaviour since taking mine for hydrotherapy treatment (footballers injury). Colin at dutton dogs is a mine of dog info
dusty mears is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..