Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2005, 20:23   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Friends Of Rhyddings Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
The Friends Group Constitution was discussed and some changes suggested. At the next meeting the committee should be created and the Constitution accepted.

Overall a fairly positive meeting I thought.
Sorry I missed the meeting, who will chair the committee.............??? is there a date for the next meeting

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2005, 21:39   #17
God Member

None of that has been decided. That's why I got a bit frustrated. PB facilitated the meeting on Thurs (he was very keen to point out that he wasn't chairing it, just facilitating it). When some people wanted to vote a committee on they were told they couldn't, it had to be a postal ballot.

Date of next meeting hasn't been agreed either - I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's scheduled for the 20th October.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 14:12   #18
Senior Member+

Think who ever holds the chair should be a non-HBC person, that way the local people would get a better say.

Just another point on the park, there don't seem to be any maintenance going on at the moment, the hedges facing park lane are now so high the residents can't see the play area

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-09-2005, 16:52   #19
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
I'll bet my bottom dollar that it's scheduled for the 20th October.
Why do you think that Gayle?
It was decided that only residents of Oswaldtwistle and elected Councillor types could be members of the friends group. I think non residents might be allowed if they are a local business, I was a bit iffy on that bit. It was definately decided that no Councillors could be on the Committee.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2005, 17:13   #20
God Member

Only because it's the one night in the next month or so that I can't make. Didn't mean anything by it I was just saying 'just my luck' kind of thing.

Old 11-09-2005, 17:13   #21
Senior Member+

I thought the Friends group committee had to be totally independent of the local council for the lottery grant thing to work

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-09-2005, 17:17   #22
God Member

Well, technically yes, park381 but that doesn't mean that Councillors can't be involved. It means that it should not form part of Council policy and that it should be managed and governed by the committee.

With other Friends groups it's worked quite well to have a couple of Councillors - they have the inside track so's to speak.

What I was concerned about was the authority of the Area Council over the Friends group. Apparently the Friends group has to report to the Area Council - that is controlled by the Council. So, it's sort of handing it to the residents but then making them answerable to the Council - not sure how exactly that will work.

Old 11-09-2005, 17:26   #23
Senior Member+

Will the lottery grant not be under the control of the Friends Group ?

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-09-2005, 17:33   #24
God Member

Yes, and you see there's another thing that needs to be cleared up quickly. It's Council officers who are currently leading on the funding application.

Which is another area where I have a bit of a problem.

To write a funding application properly you have to state exactly what you're going to spend the money on. You can't just fill in the form and say 'can we have £1m please, we'll spend it really wisely'.

So, how can they write up a bid without the committee being formed and without the consultation process taking place? Yet, that is precisely what has happened which means that someone has made some decisions about it already or the bid couldn't be written. I mean, for instance, if the funding bid states they want to reinstate a bandstand or crazy golf, or if they want to turn the old playground into a football pitch or an open air theatre, how could they do this without consultation?

Old 11-09-2005, 17:50   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I agree Gayle about the Area Council (meeting this Thursday by the way). I think it may have something to do with the Council still having over all authority in the park still. It is HBC's park and they are not giving all powers away just yet. They mentioned things like HBc still being responsible fo insurance in the park. Your other point is something that I have also thought about. When the money comes ( if ever ) whose bank account will it land in? HBC or The Friends of Rhyddings Park? I really can't see HBC allowing a group of residents 'play' with £1,000,000, can you?
Old 11-09-2005, 17:51   #26
God Member

Yes, but technically if FofRP apply for it then they must have a bank account to receive it. Again technically that would give them the right to 'play' with it. I can't see HBC allowing them to do that either.

Old 11-09-2005, 18:01   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It will be interesting to see what happens. My problem with HBC being too involved is that it will turn into another broadway.
Old 11-09-2005, 19:47   #28
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle Knight
Yes, and you see there's another thing that needs to be cleared up quickly. It's Council officers who are currently leading on the funding application.

Which is another area where I have a bit of a problem.

To write a funding application properly you have to state exactly what you're going to spend the money on. You can't just fill in the form and say 'can we have £1m please, we'll spend it really wisely'.

So, how can they write up a bid without the committee being formed and without the consultation process taking place? Yet, that is precisely what has happened which means that someone has made some decisions about it already or the bid couldn't be written. I mean, for instance, if the funding bid states they want to reinstate a bandstand or crazy golf, or if they want to turn the old playground into a football pitch or an open air theatre, how could they do this without consultation?
Was the whole idea not to put the park back as it was. When the Head of parks gave his little presentation at the area council meeting, it was to resurface paths, add seating, and other "minor" items HBC had already done the ground work, as you say Gayle the bid will need to be detailed and complete with estimates, and will need to include all professional fees etc. The main thing is to have a voice on the committee a local voice. Was there not also an indication of refurbishment of the existing buildings in the park, to be hired out for community use.

Albert Einstein.

Old 11-09-2005, 19:49   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
It will be interesting to see what happens. My problem with HBC being too involved is that it will turn into another broadway.
The area council is HBC is it not so HBC are the front runners in this. Not bad......a lottery grant to cover up the failure to carry out maintenance on the park over many years.

Albert Einstein.

Old 29-09-2005, 00:42   #30
Give, give, give member

So how did the election go last night? Did Neil win, and was Romps voted in as sec?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..