Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-05-2010, 08:08   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: German V1 flying bomb crash-oswaldtwistle 1944

I don't know what type of bomb it was, but the town centre was definitely hit by some kind of bomb. It landed in a work yard, somewhere behind the Royal Oak public house in Oswaldtwistle.

Can't help with a date, but I know it was towards the end of the war. My grandmother heard and saw the bomb drop, as our family bakery faces that pub.

So the town was bombed, but sadly I can't remember anymore details.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 27-05-2010, 08:14   #17
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I don't know what type of bomb it was, but the town centre was definitely hit by some kind of bomb. It landed in a work yard, somewhere behind the Royal Oak public house in Oswaldtwistle.

Can't help with a date, but I know it was towards the end of the war. My grandmother heard and saw the bomb drop, as our family bakery faces that pub.

So the town was bombed, but sadly I can't remember anymore details.
I'm sure she said it landed in Thomas Street, and thinking back there was a work yard, between the Royal Oak and where the New Inns pub is.

If you Google map 'Thomas Street Oswaldtwistle', and go into Street View, the yard is where the little car park is now, on the left-hand (north) side of the street.

Old 27-05-2010, 08:23   #18
Give, give, give member

By the way, there was no talk of any propoganda material, when the bomb landed in the Thomas Street area.

Old 28-05-2010, 14:44   #19

Gary what was it called i remember it was a works that made wood barrels i seem to remember but the name escapes me.
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2010, 15:38   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi38 View Post
Gary what was it called i remember it was a works that made wood barrels i seem to remember but the name escapes me.
No, it wasn't the barrel yard. That backed directly onto the infant's playground at Moor End school...and stank!

This was a smaller yard on Thomas Street. It was behind the Royal Oak, and had high cement rendered walls, and big gates that opened on to Thomas Street.

That's where I always thought the bomb my Granny saw and heard, fell.

Old 29-05-2010, 15:02   #21

will ask my mother she is 95 born in 1915 lived at back of john haworths as a girl so she may come up with the answer but we lived opposite the irish league then but i was only 6 so will let you know when i go down on monday
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2010, 09:21   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi38 View Post
Was next to Jacob Wards joiners, could even have been part of the firm, but not sure
Old 01-06-2010, 10:46   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Was next to Jacob Wards joiners, could even have been part of the firm, but not sure
The name of the company was Hartleys Cooperages
The old alcohol soaked timber from the barrels was great for burning on Bonfire night.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:16   #24

I was one of the many Ossy people that went to view the large blast hole in the ground made by the V1. My brother and I had also seen it passing over the town during the night. To say the hole was made by propaganda material is nonsense. It was quite close to a lonely house on the edge of the moors and the poor chap lost all his windows both from the house and from his greenhouse. There was no signs of the moors being on fire.
George Holden.
gholden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:37   #25
God Member

Why would Herr Hitler wish to blow up a house on the grim and dark Ossy Moors?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 17:40   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Probable looking for the Royal Ordinance Factory near Lower Darwen
Old 15-12-2010, 18:08   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Probable looking for the Royal Ordinance Factory near Lower Darwen
I thought he might have been aiming for the strategicaly important town of Church and the V1 overflew. I'm quite sure that some records were retrieved from the Hitlers Berlin bunker at the end of the war. The transcripts, if I recall went summat like this:

Hitler: Die Russen sind an den Gattern von Berlin, kommen die Amerikaner vom Südwesten herein und Monty und die Briten gießen in Deutschland vom Nordwesten. Meine Armeen haben mich verraten. Etwas muß erfolgt werden!

Himmler: Nichts kann erfolgt werden, mein Fuhrer - alles ist verloren!

Gorbels: Sein zutreffendes - gehen Sie die Rückseite jetzt mit Frau Braun hinaus und erhalten Sie die Selbstmordpillen hinunter Ihre öffnung!

Hitler: Wartezeit! Was über die lebenswichtig wichtige Stadt der Kirche, nahe Accy? Nehmen Sie das heraus und das läßt Churchill denken!

Himmler: Ein schlauer Plan, mein Fuhrer!

Hitler: O.K.… Produkteinführung Flugkörper jetzt. OH- und stellen sicher, daß Sie nicht zu viel setzen Kraftstoff im Behälter….wir möchten nicht ihn auf dieser Scheißebohrung Oswaldtwistle vergeuden.

For those of you who are to thick to read German, here's a translation:

Hitler: The Russians are at the gates of Berlin, the Americans are coming in from the South West and Monty and the British are pouring into Germany from the North West. My armies have betrayed me. Something must be done!
Himmler: Nothing can be done, My Fuhrer – all is lost!
Gorbels: Its true – get out the back now with Frau Braun and get the suicide pills down your mouth!
Hitler: Wait! What about the vitally important town of Church, near Accy? Take that out and that will make Churchill think!
Himmler: A cunning plan, my Fuhrer!
Hitler: OK...launch missiles now. Oh, and make sure you don’t put too much fuel in the tank....we don’t want to waste it on that **** hole Oswaldtwistle.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 15-12-2010 at 18:10.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 18:12   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I thought he might have been aiming for the strategicaly important town of Church and the V1 overflew. I'm quite sure that some records were retrieved from the Hitlers Berlin bunker at the end of the war. The transcripts, if I recall went summat like this:

Hitler: Die Russen sind an den Gattern von Berlin, kommen die Amerikaner vom Südwesten herein und Monty und die Briten gießen in Deutschland vom Nordwesten. Meine Armeen haben mich verraten. Etwas muß erfolgt werden!

Himmler: Nichts kann erfolgt werden, mein Fuhrer - alles ist verloren!

Gorbels: Sein zutreffendes - gehen Sie die Rückseite jetzt mit Frau Braun hinaus und erhalten Sie die Selbstmordpillen hinunter Ihre öffnung!

Hitler: Wartezeit! Was über die lebenswichtig wichtige Stadt der Kirche, nahe Accy? Nehmen Sie das heraus und das läßt Churchill denken!

Himmler: Ein schlauer Plan, mein Fuhrer!

Hitler: O.K.… Produkteinführung Flugkörper jetzt. OH- und stellen sicher, daß Sie nicht zu viel setzen Kraftstoff im Behälter….wir möchten nicht ihn auf dieser Scheißebohrung Oswaldtwistle vergeuden.

For those of you who are to thick to read German, here's a translation:

Hitler: The Russians are at the gates of Berlin, the Americans are coming in from the South West and Monty and the British are pouring into Germany from the North West. My armies have betrayed me. Something must be done!
Himmler: Nothing can be done, My Fuhrer – all is lost!
Gorbels: Its true – get out the back now with Frau Braun and get the suicide pills down your mouth!
Hitler: Wait! What about the vitally important town of Church, near Accy? Take that out and that will make Churchill think!
Himmler: A cunning plan, my Fuhrer!
Hitler: OK...launch missiles now. Oh, and make sure you don’t put too much fuel in the tank....we don’t want to waste it on that **** hole Oswaldtwistle.
And they said Hitler, Himmler and Gorbels were mad
Old 15-12-2010, 18:44   #29
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

T that's abysmal ! Funny but abysmal ! I do read German
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2010, 09:01   #30
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Because they were about as accurate as you are good looking, and we all know your day job is modelling before pictures

According to the font of all human knowledge, wikipedia, the V1 only had a range of 150 miles so how did it get this far?

V-1 (flying bomb) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by Neil; 16-12-2010 at 09:03.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..