Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-03-2007, 00:05   #31
God Member

Re: Kemp Delph

Maybe the place we called the "sand pits".. we thought it looked like the moon surface.. my mum got me a brand new pair of jeans and we went up there.. we were walking on the moon when I sank.. came out and washed my new jeans in the brook and they came out almost white!.. I'll never know if it was the cheap dye in the jeans or the chemicals in the pits that made em white. (probably the cheap jeans)
No problem!.. in one swoop I had some great faded jeans without having to wash em 50 times!

Last edited by Mancie; 15-03-2007 at 00:10.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2007, 22:58   #32

i went fishing on the bottom lodge at cockers on sunday and caught 32 tench i was always told as a kid there was nothin in that one
chris_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 14:44   #33

Kemp Delph is up Stanhill on the left hand side out of Stanhill Village.
berthindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:57   #34
Junior Member+

kemp delph used to be a sandstone quarry years ago . Also anyone remember little delph back of aspen lane behind all saints church ?? that used to be a quarry for a brickworks that stood on the site before the stanhill mill was built.I used to live in the houses that were built on top of the mill. If you look in a few books that are about lancashire you can find references to it.
ossypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 17:11   #35
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossypete View Post
kemp delph used to be a sandstone quarry years ago . Also anyone remember little delph back of aspen lane behind all saints church ?? that used to be a quarry for a brickworks that stood on the site before the stanhill mill was built.I used to live in the houses that were built on top of the mill. If you look in a few books that are about lancashire you can find references to it.

I remember that little delph very well, I used to swim in it. Sadly, a little boy from a family who lived near me drowned in that place. He was only 7.

Where is All Saints church? When I left West End (1962) Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill was very much a working mill and they had only just started building houses on Aspen Lane, round the school. The only church was St Thomas', on Blackburn Rd., almost opposite our house
Old 01-04-2008, 17:14   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I remember that little delph very well, I used to swim in it. Sadly, a little boy from a family who lived near me drowned in that place. He was only 7.

Where is All Saints church? When I left West End (1962) Stanhill Ring Spinning Mill was very much a working mill and they had only just started building houses on Aspen Lane, round the school. The only church was St Thomas', on Blackburn Rd., almost opposite our house
The church is next door to the school, as you're going up the lane.

It is quite modern by design, and has a large triangular copper roof, which has gone green with age.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 19:47   #37
Passed away 25-11-09

At the risk of a good old fashioned cliché I'll have to say it was all fields round there when I was young. But, it was.
Old 15-04-2008, 20:31   #38

Only just found this site, but obviously not many of the past visitors knew Kemp Delph.
To get there you had to go through Stanhill (on the road to Knusden) and not far after the Stanhill House (on the left) it was on your right hidden by a slight 'hill'. We used to go there in summer to swim but it was always considered as a dangerous place as the depth of the water had never been established and we were told that it was full of 'all kinds of strange things from animals to abandoned cars.
I'm going back to the late 50's.
Susan from Sicily
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2008, 20:59   #39
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Only just found this site, but obviously not many of the past visitors knew Kemp Delph.
To get there you had to go through Stanhill (on the road to Knusden) and not far after the Stanhill House (on the left) it was on your right hidden by a slight 'hill'. We used to go there in summer to swim but it was always considered as a dangerous place as the depth of the water had never been established and we were told that it was full of 'all kinds of strange things from animals to abandoned cars.
I'm going back to the late 50's.
Susan from Sicily

You must have been going there when I was. I swam in there many, many times, when I was in my teens, but the water was always damned cold even on the hottest days.
Old 16-04-2008, 09:44   #40
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
You must have been going there when I was. I swam in there many, many times, when I was in my teens, but the water was always damned cold even on the hottest days.
We used to go up there in the summer and like yu said West Ender it was really cold, we would get to it from Brookside Lane, up through the fields past Vine Mill, all the older kids used to jump in of the "Top Rock" as we used to call it, ain't been near for years now
Old 11-10-2011, 19:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by prestonbob View Post
does anyone remember sand delph,which was near cockers lodges?
remember it well, used to fish there when a young lad, it was later used as a landfill, think it was smething to do with magnols farm.
neilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 09:26   #42
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilt View Post
remember it well, used to fish there when a young lad, it was later used as a landfill, think it was something to do with magnols farm.
Never remember there being fish in yon, plenty of aud rusty objects an odd motor bike and a car or two
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20   #43
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilt View Post
remember it well, used to fish there when a young lad, it was later used as a landfill, think it was smething to do with magnols farm.
Was that the one just off Brookside Lane, at the bottom of the path up the fields to Kemp Delph?

That one, behind the ruined farm house, with the little pier thing you could walk in, certainly had fish in, and two swans who lived there. Who used to chase after you when they had cygnets. They nested on the grass verge that went across the middle of the lodge.

The two lodges behind this one didn't have fish. Just weird orange sinking sand type mud.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 18:08   #44
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was that the one just off Brookside Lane, at the bottom of the path up the fields to Kemp Delph?

That one, behind the ruined farm house, with the little pier thing you could walk in, certainly had fish in, and two swans who lived there. Who used to chase after you when they had cygnets. They nested on the grass verge that went across the middle of the lodge.

The two lodges behind this one didn't have fish. Just weird orange sinking sand type mud.
I was thinking of Kemp Delph, never so many fish in yon

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..