Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-01-2012, 15:01   #1

poor memory,

when i was very young a thousand years ago,i can vagely remember a very large house, in its own grounds,it would have been some where around the very bottom end of the swanee area, with whiteash as the top end, it would be about halfway on, on the road that now runs from the tinker pub onto west end,have i been dreaming, or did this exist,
janloot is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-01-2012, 15:22   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: poor memory,

Quote:
Originally Posted by janloot View Post
when i was very young a thousand years ago,i can vagely remember a very large house, in its own grounds,it would have been some where around the very bottom end of the swanee area, with whiteash as the top end, it would be about halfway on, on the road that now runs from the tinker pub onto west end,have i been dreaming, or did this exist,
Sounds like Foxhill Bank Hall.

Which as far as I can make out, was demolished in the very late fifties.

Lancashire Lantern | Word Search | Item

I'm sat here, looking out through my window, at where it once stood.

My Mum remembers peeping over the wall as a child, and seeing the house filled with beautiful statues.

The house next door, Foxhill Bank House, still large, but not as ornate, is still standing.

Lancashire Lantern | Subjects | Item
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.php.jpg (60.6 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by garinda; 17-01-2012 at 15:29.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 15:28   #3
Give, give, give member

The old hall's grounds now make up part of what's now the Foxhill Bank Nature Reserve,

Foxhill Bank Nature Reserve | Days out in the UK | Widecow.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 60367337.jpg (115.2 KB, 21 views)

Old 17-01-2012, 16:03   #4

thats definetly the place,old memorys, the way i remembered it, was in amongst a lot of very big trees, i also remember it not being there, and couldnt understand why any one would want to pull it down,
Old 17-01-2012, 17:58   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
thats definetly the place,old memorys, the way i remembered it, was in amongst a lot of very big trees, i also remember it not being there, and couldnt understand why any one would want to pull it down,
I spent my childhood in and around that area, I remember it being occupied, then for some reason it was left empty and became a target for every Tom Dick or Harry to see what they could scavenging, I remember there was a great staircase in the hall, it was pulled down when it became very dangerous, must have been in the mid to late 60s
Old 17-01-2012, 18:37   #6

it was empty when i remember it, maybe late 50s i left ossy around 1962-3 so was maybe pulled down earlier than mid sixtys but as i say senility setting in i couldnt say for sure, i remember it was a very eerie place,
Old 17-01-2012, 19:01   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaloot View Post
it was empty when i remember it, maybe late 50s i left ossy around 1962-3 so was maybe pulled down earlier than mid sixtys but as i say senility setting in i couldnt say for sure, i remember it was a very eerie place,
I know it was derelict when I was about 13 or 14, because I went inside to have a shufty, but by this time it was a real mess
Old 17-01-2012, 19:31   #8

i must have been around same age, i dont know why, but i dont have many memorys, oswaldtwistle in my youth wasnt a place i was over keen on, to be honest i couldnt wait to get away from it, i joined the travelling fair when it was down on the straits, and stayed with a firm for 17 years the guy was like a father to me, sad day when he passed away,i couldnt settle after that so left,
Old 17-01-2012, 19:54   #9
Give, give, give member

1861 census.

Foxhill Bank Hall
Thomas SIMPSON head m 60 Coal Proprieter Scotland
Ellen SIMPSON wife m 42 Oswaldtwistle
Mareon SIMPSON daur 9 Oswaldtwistle
Ellen SIMPSON daur 7 Oswaldtwistle
Anne SIMPSON daur 5 Oswaldtwistle
Mary SIMPSON daur 3 Oswaldtwistle
Elizabeth CAUGHTON servant u 30 Governess Manchester
Mary ROSTSON visitor w 55 Gentlewoman Whalley
Isabella TATTERSALL servant u 46 Cook & Housekeeper Whalley
Elizabeth WHITESIDE servant u 25 ? Preston
Ann LEE servant u 20 Kitchenmaid Shropshire
Cathrine HUGHES servant u 24 Laundress Wales
Charlotte WOFFENDON servant u 22 Housemaid YKS Huddersfield
Emma WATKINS servant u 22 Housemaid ?
Mary PYE servant u 20 House Servant Lancaster.

Old 17-01-2012, 21:59   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
i must have been around same age, i dont know why, but i dont have many memorys, oswaldtwistle in my youth wasnt a place i was over keen on, to be honest i couldnt wait to get away from it, i joined the travelling fair when it was down on the straits, and stayed with a firm for 17 years the guy was like a father to me, sad day when he passed away,i couldnt settle after that so left,
Yeh weren't wi silcocks janloot were yeh?
Old 18-01-2012, 08:09   #11

i ended up with lawrence silcock,when him and herbie silcock bought the speedway off mitchels, lawrence was at blackpool trying to worm his way onto pleasure beach, unsuccessfully, i managed the speedway for two years, but herbie who was 80 was with me and caved my head in so it was bye=bye that would have been about 1977-8
Old 18-01-2012, 08:44   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Can't remember the fair ever being down the Straits, was on what we called the flats which was opposite St Andrews school
Old 18-01-2012, 12:58   #13

the straits as i can remember if i am right was down past the tinker pub past where the fire station was,down the hill round to the left rough ground at that time,was there a working mens club opposite?anyway thats where i first started with a firm called hamers, we went onto staining at blackpool end, and from then on almost every where in country,
Old 18-01-2012, 13:27   #14

i also remember it being opposite st andrews, that firm was walter scott and son dodgems,i was in the sunday school at st andrews, and carried the board with st andrews on it on walking day, i was also in the choir at immanuel, when cannon dodd was the vicar there, where did i go wrong ha,ha,
Old 18-01-2012, 14:53   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
i ended up with lawrence silcock,when him and herbie silcock bought the speedway off mitchels, lawrence was at blackpool trying to worm his way onto pleasure beach, unsuccessfully, i managed the speedway for two years, but herbie who was 80 was with me and caved my head in so it was bye=bye that would have been about 1977-8
Ah cheers Twas Mitchells when i was on speedway, that woulda been 64/65 ish, had forgot the name.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..