Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2005, 11:09   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

School Keep Clear - Yellow Zig-Zags

This subject is a pet hate of mine. Why do some parents think it is ok to risk the safety of my children by stopping on the yelloe zig zags outside school?

My son attends Hippings. Every morning cars stop on the zig zags like there are designed to be a drop off point. On some days a coach parks on them waiting to take children somewhere. People use the school entrance as a turning place, just because it is easy.

What does the school do about it?
Nothing!

Does the headteacher stand at the gates asking people not to stop there?
No!

Do the police issue fines for the offence?
No.

I attended the Area Council Meeting on April 12th. After the meeting I spoke to PC Tracey Finn, she is the Community Beat Manager for Oswaldtwistle. I asked her what is being done about the problem of cars stopping on the zig zags. I explained that I see it every day outside Hippings, St.Mary's and Fairfield Nursary. She explained that a scheme had been drawn up and approved to add a restricted parking yellow line opposite the zig zags outside St. Mary's. This was to be the start of a campaign to address the problem. She has been waiting 2 years for the council to paint the yellow line. The whole road has recently been resurfaced and repainted and the line did not get added.

I suggested that if there was a list of 50 names in The Observer of drivers who had been fined it would scare other drivers and may improve the situation. I was informed that when she stands outside the school no one stops on the yellow lines. I must have smiled so she explained that she cant issues fines if she is not in uniform.

She is going to look into the problem outside Hippings, I will just have to wait and see what happens.

I have just collect my other son from Fairfield Nursary and everybody was given the leaflet below regarding zig zags. It is good to know that some Headteachers are concerned about the issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KeepClear.jpg (71.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 14-04-2005, 12:59   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: School Keep Clear - Yellow Zig-Zags

My goddaughter attends the same school, she lives about three miles away so l think travelling to school by car is acceptable. On the otherhand l know children that live within 1/2 a mile from the school who also get dropped off by car.

I know that perhaps peoples lives are busier nowadays and a lot of families have both parents working, but everyday until we were old enough to go the mile to school, my Mum walked with myself and my brother past the car and onwards towards school.

We were fitter than todays cosseted little dears, and also helped to preserve fossil fuels for more needy transport needs. [Please no jokes about driving to Entwistle, thank you. ]

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 13:11   #3
Give, give, give member

Afterthought.............

Perhaps the P.C. would lend you her uniform, for you to wear when you drop your son off.

The thought scares me, as l'm sure it would anybody else who saw you whilst dropping off the sprogs, and were thinking of parking illegally.

Old 14-04-2005, 13:18   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I should have said that PC Finn was extremely helpfull when we were discussing the subject. I dont think she is friendly enough to lend me her uniform , I know it is you that wants it anyway .

I have no problem with taking children to school in cars. Just stopping on the yellow lines. There is no need to park illegally outside Hippings as there is plently of legal places to stop.
Old 14-04-2005, 13:43   #5
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
There is no need to park illegally outside Hippings as there is plently of legal places to stop.
Yeah half way up Fielding Lane stopping me from getting in my Mum's drive!!!!!

Last edited by Neil; 18-04-2011 at 10:14. Reason: fix quote
Old 14-04-2005, 17:49   #6
Accrington Web Mascot

Parents on the school run are like another species. Just stay inside & lock your doors until they pass!

I think they park on the zig-zag lines cos they truly believe that they are only there to keep the way clear until they turn up! I used to have to drive past St Marys to get to work at around 8.30am and it was a complete nightmare. How I haven't driven into one of the car doors that are flung open without any regard of passing traffic, god only knows - (& it isn't the children that do the flinging!).
ShortStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 21:57   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff
I think they park on the zig-zag lines cos they truly believe that they are only there to keep the way clear until they turn up! I used to have to drive past St Marys to get to work at around 8.30am
St Mary's school and the traffic problems came up at the area council meeting, PC Tracy Finn had an imput, in so much as she / they are aware of the problem, and are waiting the yellow lines being put down the side of the road. Who knows how long that will take, may be another job for the 3" brush & yellow paint brigade. Neil,Simon, that's some more lines we need to paint

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 22:05   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
waiting the yellow lines being put down the side of the road

That was in 2003 would you believe. I was talking to her about it.
Old 15-04-2005, 06:53   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
That was in 2003 would you believe. I was talking to her about it.
That's about right for HBC. There was a similar problem in Gt Harwood at a school entrance and the Beat Manager there indicated he would "book" the offenders if they did not stop parking on the zig zags. There was an article in the Observer about it. Why can't Tracy Finn do the same thing

Albert Einstein.

Old 15-04-2005, 07:33   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
the Beat Manager there indicated he would "book" the offenders if they did not stop parking on the zig zags............. Why can't Tracy Finn do the same thing
I asked her that and she told me that no one does it when she is there waiting for them.
Old 15-04-2005, 07:47   #11
Resident Waffler

Presumably that's because they notice her.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2005, 07:48   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I know it sounds stupid but she informed me she cant be in plain clothes. She has to be in uniform to issues fines. That is crazy in my book.
Old 15-04-2005, 08:25   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I do find my camera phone can be usefull at times.

Here is a picture of a Kirkmans coach waiting to take some childrem swimming outside St Mary's in Oswaldtwistle.

I contacted the school and asked if they were aware of the coach parked on the keep clear lines.

I was informed by the schools representative that it was only for 5 minutes.

Well done St. Mary's for condoning parking on your keep clear lines. I wonder if they let any other aspects of the childrens safety slip?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ZigZag St Marys 1.jpg (34.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 15-04-2005, 08:27   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
I know it sounds stupid but she informed me she cant be in plain clothes. She has to be in uniform to issues fines. That is crazy in my book.
Then why not include it in the newsletter "In Touch" local information and news from your Community Beat Manager. This is distributed around the area.
In fact in the latest issue (issue 3 - march 2005 Oswaldtwistle Newsletter) there is an article "What do you want your Community Beat Officers to do for you?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scan0001_small.jpg (3.5 KB, 19 views)

Albert Einstein.

Last edited by park381; 15-04-2005 at 08:57.
Old 16-04-2005, 12:31   #15

i agree with most things you say neil but what can the school do about it? my mum works at hippings and i know that all the teachers are extreamly busy teaching kinds and preparing lessons.

It is the responsibility of parents and the police. Perhaps if parents actually bothered to take time out and walk their kids to school there wouldn't be such a problem.
asfc babe is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..