Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2005, 10:15   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Thumbs down The Co-op

I don't know if any of you read the Area Council Meeting info I posted or not. There is a bit in it about the Co-op. I have attended several Area Meetings over the last couple of years and this subject appears to have been ongoing all that time.

Quote:
Oswaldtwistle Area Council Meeting Minutes from 7th December 2004
The meeting organised for November had been postponed and was due to be rescheduled for
early in the New Year. The funding for the scheme had been secured.
Quote:
Oswaldtwistle Area Council Meeting Minutes from 13th March 2004
Councillor Walmsley reported that work was underway to try to identify resources from the Co-op, the owners of the building and the Council to fund a scheme to landscape the site.
Quote:
Oswaldtwistle Area Council Meeting Minutes from 9th December 2003
Councillor Walmsley updated the meeting on the problems with the Co-op site and reported that the Youth Club had cleared the site of rubbish several months ago and done some pruning to the bushes. He idicated that they were waiting for a scheme to be proposed by the Council and refered to the dangers of traffic leaving the car park.

The Chairman ( Cllr Britcliffe ) pointed out that the trees and bushes often caught litter and made this area look untidy and as such, the implementation of any plans should aim to make the site easier to keep clean whilst still being green and enviromentally enhancing the centre of Oswaldtwistle. He informed the meeting that they were also working in conjunction with the Co-op and Chemist to create a scheme that would benefit them all and also aimed to improve lighting in the area.

A resident pointed out that a bus shelter near the Co-op was in need of repair and the Chairman indicated that he would request that an Engineer looked at the problem.
Why have I mentioned this? On Tuesday morning I took my children to school and called into the Co-op for some bread, milk etc. I was disgusted at the amount of litter blowing about around the Co-op and Chemist area. The bushes are full of litter as are the footpaths. This is an ongoing problem that our Council are playing lip service to.

Have you seen the area I refer to?
If you have what do you think should be done about it?

Last edited by Neil; 08-04-2005 at 08:58.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-04-2005, 11:55   #2

Re: The Co-op

i know what you mean. More and more of our area is getting like this.
I think they should do what Preston are doing and I have under cover people looking out for litter bugs, then name them and shame them and give them a £50 fine. This would work in town, but you could have them everywhere. I think the co op should take some action as it is outside their store.
asfc babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:30   #3
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
Have you seen the area I refer to?
If you have what do you think should be done about it?
Yes it's a B******* mess, all areas with that type of bush are a mess. May be removal of the bushes, the area grassing over and one or two trees planted would clean the area up. Mind that would not solve the problem, people need re-educating.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:48   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I am not sure what HBC are trying to plan to do with the area. It is privately owned.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:15   #5
Give, give, give member

Re: The Co-op.
lt does seem strange that a privately owned carpark should be near the top of the agenda, but agreed it is a tip.

My other gripe with the Co-op is that you have to pack your own shopping, which l find really difficult at the same time as trying to shake out some money for the cashier. Lots of other supermarkets, Tescos etc. all have the same aisles, but after scanning the cashier puts the scanned items straight into bags which are hung on prongs. This would save them time, and provide a useful sevice for me and a lot more people, ie. parents with children. l've phoned head office twice and got a very luke warm responce from the Co-op.

My other gripe is that yesterday l bought two [buy 2 for £3] pizzas, only to find on getting home they were 4 days out of date. lf l don't post again, please use this as evidence at my inquest. The male cashier also didn't say please, thank you, kiss my ass or any other pleasantry, not much appreciated in a competative service industry.

I'll stick to my bag packing/friendly/tick available if the cash machines broken, asian corner shop as much as possible.

Off to phone the Co-op HQ....................

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 10:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by asfc babe
i know what you mean. More and more of our area is getting like this.
I think they should do what Preston are doing and I have under cover people looking out for litter bugs, then name them and shame them and give them a £50 fine. This would work in town, but you could have them everywhere. I think the co op should take some action as it is outside their store.
We have them in Doncaster the only thing they don't stop is people throwing chewing gum on the floor (yuk... I hate chewy) in Luton they have chewing gum boards which are attached to most lamp posts.

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:05   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I bet you did not know that in Singapore there is a prohibition on the importing of chewing gum. The penalty for littering is upto $10,000 or 12 months in prison.
Old 08-04-2005, 12:06   #8

maybe I will have to move to singapore....chewy as got to be the worst thing ever

The most wasted day of all is that on which we have not laughed .......Sebastine Chamford
fibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 17:25   #9
mez
God Member

why can't the powers that be buid the walls up again & put some nice bright flowers in , with large stones cemented round them that way litter can be easier to shift, plus it will look more welcoming too.
Old 08-04-2005, 21:47   #10
Senior Member+

Sadly Mez most of the powers that be haven't got the first clue about how not to attract litter,virtually every space in Hyndburn has low growing,prickly shrubs specifically designed to make the place look even worse!
Old 08-04-2005, 22:05   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
Sadly Mez most of the powers that be haven't got the first clue about how not to attract litter,virtually every space in Hyndburn has low growing,prickly shrubs specifically designed to make the place look even worse!
I agree you that statement lindsay. You would have thought they would have realised it for themselves by now.
Old 08-04-2005, 22:22   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod
I agree with that, but it's a problem all over, not just in Hyndburn, it's where ever you go. Must have all been planted around the same time, some landscape artist or should I say architect will have had the bright idea, low cost to plant, no maintenance, total cover, what more could you ask. They would not think of the later years, where peoples habits changed from "if there's not litter bin, then take my rubbish home" to a society where, "oh i've done with that can, wrapper,bag I'll just drop it in the street" someone else will pick it up for me.

Albert Einstein.

Old 08-04-2005, 22:31   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Re: The Co-op.
My other gripe with the Co-op
All I can say to that one is the Co-op's staff training programme must "NOT" include customer satisfaction.

Albert Einstein.

Old 08-04-2005, 23:28   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
All I can say to that one is the Co-op's staff training programme must "NOT" include customer satisfaction.
I find the staff very pleasant - maybe it is just you two
Old 09-04-2005, 07:23   #15
Give, give, give member

Lol, l'll have you know l'm charm itself!
l end up saying 'thanks very much' when handed my change by someone who hasn't even said one word to me.
Most of the staff are nice though, perhaps it's just the one boy that l leave tongue tied.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..