Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2005, 10:14   #1
Give, give, give member

Watering holes.

I think it's time we have a new thread that doesn't involve parking!

What have we got besides too many cars and too little parking spaces? Pubs!

We are blessed with a great number of pubs [ we used to have even more in times of yore, with nearly every other house on Union Road serving ale in the parlour.] You can start at the Stanhill Inn and by the time you got to The Last Orders at Moscow Mill you would feel slightly merry if you'd have had a drink in each pub you passed.

Not forgetting the great pubs we have up on the moors.

Any favourites/comments?

I'm an old Stop and Rester as it was nearest to my home, but have recently joined The Straits Club, very friendly, cheap and full of characters, l felt right at home.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2005, 10:23   #2
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Watering holes.

Any pub that makes the effort to serve real ale, and keeps it in good condition of course.

I almost forgot to add,; preferably not populated by foul mouthed chavs with communication difficulties.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 12:07   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Watering holes.

How many pubs were there in ossy, how many are long gone. What was that one on the corner lower down than st pauls school on the same side, a lions house I think, used to have a nice open fire in the tap room.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 12:12   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
You can start at the Stanhill Inn and by the time you got to The Last Orders at Moscow Mill you would feel slightly merry if you'd have had a drink in each pub you passed. .
Only slightly merry, did'nt they used to say if you started at church traffic lights and had a gill in each pub on union road, you were a good'un if you could get to the black dog

Albert Einstein.

Old 30-04-2005, 13:29   #5
Give, give, give member

Looking at books of old photos of Ossy there were loads of ale houses. l can just about remember the little one on Union Road that is now part of Franco's l think.

There were only slightly more pubs than Chapels and meeting houses. Either the population was split between drinkers and abstainers, or all the pubs were empty on Sundays as the drinkers repented for spending the household money in the pub after they were paid on Fridays.

Old 30-04-2005, 13:42   #6
Senior Member+

No, the one I was thinking of was down below St Pauls school, might have been called Horse **** ?

On the subject of Franco's I remember it opening, 1 small room and Franco lived in flat above. meal for 2 plus couple of drinks cost us about £7.50, the good old days eh

Albert Einstein.

Old 30-04-2005, 13:43   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Only slightly merry, did'nt they used to say if you started at church traffic lights and had a gill in each pub on union road, you were a good'un if you could get to the black dog
The one I was always told was:-
If you had a thimble full of ale in the commercial and doubled it at every pub you wouldn't get to the black dog

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 13:47   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
The one I was always told was:-
If you had a thimble full of ale in the commercial and doubled it at every pub you wouldn't get to the black dog
Ay that was the saying, the memory gets a little fussy as you get older Lol

Albert Einstein.

Old 30-04-2005, 14:01   #9
mez
God Member

do you mean the printers? thats below st: pauls school, its now the last orders.
Old 30-04-2005, 14:12   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mez
do you mean the printers? thats below st: pauls school, its now the last orders.
No, was further up than the printers but on same side,its so long ago, was working in Church at the time and used to call in to pick up the fire beater after his lunchtime 12 pints, he used to bring 2 or 3 pint crystals back for his afternoon break, he would hide them in the coal. Happy days

Albert Einstein.

Old 30-04-2005, 15:30   #11
I am Band

Starting with the Commercial Hotel, at the lights at the bottom of Market Street, then the Con servative Club, then the Greyhound???, then the Station, what were the remainder of the ports of call on the way up to the Black Dog?

I was but a spotty little herbert in the days of many of these watering holes. I just about remember the Station in a bombed out state, shortly before it was demolished. My dad used to have the occaisional libation in the Commercial and the Greyhound when he worked for Blair Electrical, at Church lights.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 15:34   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkologist
what were the remainder of the ports of call on the way up to the Black Dog?
There were loads of them, I think someone once told me 36 in all, I know the block that the Royal is on there used to be 3 , one of them was called the star I think.
There used to be a web-site run by an Ossy lad which listed them all and had quite a few pictures but he closed the site down about 12 month since

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2005, 16:14   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H
There were loads of them, I think someone once told me 36 in all, I know the block that the Royal is on there used to be 3 , one of them was called the star I think.
There used to be a web-site run by an Ossy lad which listed them all and had quite a few pictures but he closed the site down about 12 month since
Shame that, it would have been very interesting, have had a look on Mike's web site "the life and times of osssy" but can't see any pics apart from the one where Franco's is now.

Albert Einstein.

Old 02-05-2005, 07:54   #14
Give, give, give member

What are the opening times of pubs in Ossy now?

l seem to remember being in The Golden Cross and it had bouncers on the door and it seemed to be after one a.m., if my hazy memory serves me well. I think l've been in The New Inn's a similar time. Is it offical or was l just lucky?

I wasn't drinking, just trying to sign up converts, [to sign the pledge.]

Old 15-05-2005, 15:51   #15

Pubs in Ossy on Union Rd

Commercial
Con Club
Greyhound
Rose Bud
Musicians
Railway Hotel
Railway Inn
Royal Arms
Fishermans Arms
Startled fox
Castle Inn
Printers Arms
Cricketers Arms
Skinners Arms
Rising Sun
Prince of Wales
Masons Arms
Horseshoe
Foxhill
Tinker & Budget
Bay Horse
Plane Tree
Grey Horse
Golden Cross
Rose Bud ( 2??)
Old House At Home
Black Lion
Quees Head
Miners Arms
Royal Oak
Rose & Crown
Black Dog

Jelly Baby
jelly baby is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..