Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn". (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/mr-adrian-shurmer-author-of-shurmers-official-guide-of-hyndburn-33521.html)

jaysay 18-01-2011 09:14

re: MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

I think Adrian's guide will be around a long time after he has departed this earth, I still use mine to this day

gynn 18-01-2011 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi (Post 470624)
Adrian was his first name. also stood as an independant on teh council for a while, (I think he's stood down now)

He was a Councillor for a year or so, about 12 years ago. He stood as an Independent, and single handedly held the balance of power between Labour and the Conservatives, in the days when the Mayoralty was earned, not given as a political sweetener. So he was never made Mayor.

I remember he was red hot on traffic issues, and always spoke out against road humps and "sleeping policemen".

Bernard Dawson 18-01-2011 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by gynn (Post 876271)
He was a Councillor for a year or so, about 12 years ago. He stood as an Independent, and single handedly held the balance of power between Labour and the Conservatives, in the days when the Mayoralty was earned, not given as a political sweetener. So he was never made Mayor.

I remember he was red hot on traffic issues, and always spoke out against road humps and "sleeping policemen".

You might remember Adrian, held the balance of power the year I was Mayor. Made for an interesting year.

jaysay 18-01-2011 17:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson (Post 876290)
You might remember Adrian, held the balance of power the year I was Mayor. Made for an interesting year.

Ya Bernard, think thats the last time I had a chat with you, if I remember rightly, I may be wrong but I don't think he lasted the year did he;)

Stumped 18-01-2011 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by MITZY (Post 470658)
Was he not once in the police......

Adrian was my partner on the crime car for several years. A good copper with a strong sense of RIGHT. He went on to become an advanced driving instructor until his retirement from the police. He later served as an independent councillor for Great Harwood and quit after several noteworthy run in's with Britcliffe, having proved his point that the man was apparently just of much of a self centred ego then as he is today.

widnes viking 25-09-2013 17:48

Adrian has sadly died (didn't see in the thread). There is a memorial bench to him on the footpath near to the bottom end of Gt Harwood Golf Club near to the disused railway line.

The story from some 20 years ago was that Hyndburn Council used his maps without permission and had to pay a royalty (This was a long time before he went on the council).

The guide was pretty unique in that a Street location was given as "off Birtwistle Street" and then the house number on Birtwistle Street that it was alongside was given.

davemac 25-09-2013 22:16

1 Attachment(s)
The plaque on the bench in question.

Judith Addison 02-10-2013 21:12

I used to find Adrian Shurmer's Guide extremely useful in my earlier years as Local Land Charges Officer at Hyndburn Borough Council - I did the job for 25 years up to my retirement. Hyndburn didn't publish its own street guide so Shurmer's came in very handy! Re earlier comment about the mayoralty being given as a political sweetener rather than earned - I hope that's not true in my case!! Judith Addison - current Mayor of Hyndburn

Bob Dobson 03-10-2013 09:01

Today I am visiting Mrs Shurmer with a welfare officer from the Retired Bobbies to help her dispose of a lot of copies of Adrian's book on driving, which is held in high regard by Advanced Drivers. I shall pass onto wer all the good wishes for Adrian expressed on here.

Atarah 19-10-2013 08:32

I really wish our moderators could alter the heading which states "that Shurmer chap" - please could you not amend it to say MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

I have "flinched" ever since that heading was used.

Mick 19-10-2013 08:49

Re: MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

your wish is our command June:D

Atarah 19-10-2013 09:07

MR ADRIAN SHURMER, author of "Shurmer's Official Guide of Hyndburn".

1 Attachment(s)
Thank you very kindly sir!
A much nicer introduction to the article.

Bob Dobson 19-10-2013 09:35

Well done Atarah and Mick.....I have arranged for the stock of copies of 'Mind How You Go' to be collected by the Marie Curie Foundation, so they will be going on sale in their shops soon. Other copies will be going to local charities.

cmonstanley 19-10-2013 11:32

found a copy in my loft this morning

Bob Dobson 19-10-2013 13:49

A warning to others - 'Mind how you go' when up in the loft.