Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Internet Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/)
-   -   Free websites (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/free-websites-25808.html)

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:14

Free websites

Anyone know of any that will allow me to host pitctures and text on a number of pages?

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 12:21

Re: Free websites

Yahoo geocities?

Mick 13-11-2006 12:27

Accringtonweb.com have a gallery too if you look you already have space on there

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:31

Oh no this is going to a site about complaing about stuff in general lol.

Mick 13-11-2006 12:33

so you want to set a website up?

silvermain 13-11-2006 12:37

Yes but would like a free one first to "test the water" if you would.

Mick 13-11-2006 12:42

you could try this one
Forum Software / Message Board Software: Guide to Software for Discussion Forums, Message Boards, BBS / Bulletin Boards, and Groupware, for Intranets and the Web

or

phpBB.com :: Creating Communities

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 12:54

Do you want to create a website or a message board? Mind you, you could do both.

accymel 13-11-2006 12:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvermain
Oh no this is going to a site about complaing about stuff in general lol.

Complaining about what ?:confused:

entwisi 13-11-2006 13:15

Quote:

Yes but would like a free one first to "test the water" if you would.

If your PC is on all teh time you could use it to run your site till you know its a go-er.

I would recommend talking to people who know what they are talking about from a firewall/security aspect but its not difficult to do(I'm happy to give you my expertise on this). I have a small linux server you can have for a small amount of beer tokens(just to cover the Hard disk thats in it, the rest is pretty much throw away spec nowadays but it will happily cope with 20-30 concurrent users as long as you aren't utilising all your ISP bandwidth with P2P or anything else like that. )

NB some ISPs ban the use of home webservers so you may wish to test it first before going through the hassle of setting it all up, I can help/advise you if you want.

Ian

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by entwisi
If your PC is on all teh time you could use it to run your site till you know its a go-er.

I would recommend talking to people who know what they are talking about from a firewall/security aspect but its not difficult to do(I'm happy to give you my expertise on this). I have a small linux server you can have for a small amount of beer tokens(just to cover the Hard disk thats in it, the rest is pretty much throw away spec nowadays but it will happily cope with 20-30 concurrent users as long as you aren't utilising all your ISP bandwidth with P2P or anything else like that. )

NB some ISPs ban the use of home webservers so you may wish to test it first before going through the hassle of setting it all up, I can help/advise you if you want.

Ian

LOL i was with you all the way to firewall/security lol

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:04

Really all i want is a free one to write on about different topics and a few pictures. Not after much really. Cant you get them with .tv at the end of it?

WillowTheWhisp 13-11-2006 16:08

Is this the sort of thing you are looking for?

silvermain 13-11-2006 16:27

Yeah that will do cheers.

entwisi 14-11-2006 09:10

Quote:

LOL i was with you all the way to firewall/security lol

This is just the problem, People see Computers and the Internet as an 'easy' thing (yeh I can use a computer.) but in reality they know very little about them and don't want to learn.

When they get bitten on the bum they start wingeing.

If you really want to learn about building and running a website then you need to do some research yourself on both techniacl aspects of building one to legal requirements (DDA, copyright, libel etc)