Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Internet Talk (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/)
-   -   Is Facebook affecting forums? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f122/is-facebook-affecting-forums-50975.html)

booth76 24-12-2009 12:36

Is Facebook affecting forums?

As this seems to be our busiest local forum I thought I would ask on here too. Is Facebook and other social networking sites affecting forum based sites.

I'm a member on a few forums around the web, some niche, and quite a few seem affected by people instead choosing to mooch around on Facebook. Our local site seems to be affected by it with many of our regular members now using Facebook more frequently than popping on our forums.

Personally I use both, but rarely use Facebook 'groups', I just think they are a poor persons forums and difficult to follow.

andrewb 24-12-2009 16:02

Re: Is Facebook affecting forums?

Not sure if it's affecting them or not. I normally come on here for discussions and use Facebook to talk to people individually. In other words I rarely send PMs on Accringtonweb.

You're right about Facebook groups. I sometimes join them and say something, but I rarely go back to them or take any further part in them for the reasons you mention.

jaysay 24-12-2009 16:14

I'm a member of both, but very rarely use Facebook as I prefer sites like this

cashman 24-12-2009 16:17

had a look at facebook, thought it was crap,so didn't bother.

Eric 24-12-2009 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 771868)
had a look at facebook, thought it was crap,so didn't bother.

Really:eek: Me too:mosher: And I thought I was the only one. Don't have a cell phone either .... if anyone asks me why, I tell them I'm Amish.:D

webglynne 24-12-2009 23:44

Face book hard to follow? Have to agree but I did think of asking accyweb members what they thought of the pages of maxres for the forces on face book?

MargaretR 25-12-2009 00:13

What is maxres?

esteemedjuju 25-12-2009 15:32

i use facebook because most of my family and ex workmates are on

LYNX1 25-12-2009 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysay (Post 771866)
I'm a member of both, but very rarely use Facebook as I prefer sites like this

I hate Facebook, only go on when someone leaves me a message, can't get my head round it :confused:

Retlaw 25-12-2009 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by LYNX1 (Post 772079)
I hate Facebook, only go on when someone leaves me a message, can't get my head round it :confused:

I agree with you LYNX1, I joined but could'nt see what it was about, then a week later I started to get emails people wanting to be my friend, Why would any one want to be my friend, especially if they don't know me, so I deleted the emails and my log in code and haven't been back since.

Retlaw.

MargaretR 25-12-2009 16:49

I only have family on it, and chat with them sometimes.
I couldn't cope with all those 'extras' like zoos and gardens.
Garinda kidnapped me a couple of times so I sent him a few dog turds.
It got too messy, so if you were on my friends list and found yourself deleted - it was nothing personal.

cashman 25-12-2009 18:54

funnily enough was speaking to a member other day when i was out wo oscar, n she was telling me she had oer 500 friends on facebook, but only knew 6/7 of em, got to thinking after, thats 500 strangers can acess owt of yer details ya choose to put on it, i reckon oer time someone out in cyberspace can collate all that info n use it to stuff ya.? if thats so,it seems rather stupid to me.:rolleyes:

webglynne 25-12-2009 20:00

Maxres maximum respect for British armed forces!

Login | Facebook

This started off saying it was about to start a charity with a paypals account to pay into, some asked for more, some said we have asked the charity Commission about you and they have had nothing from you.

Now all talk of a charity, one that would be there only to pay money into existing charities, has gone and some still believe it is genuine?

It needs reading to understand it better.

cashman 25-12-2009 21:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by webglynne (Post 772124)
Maxres maximum respect for British armed forces!

Login | Facebook

This started off saying it was about to start a charity with a paypals account to pay into, some asked for more, some said we have asked the charity Commission about you and they have had nothing from you.

Now all talk of a charity, one that would be there only to pay money into existing charities, has gone and some still believe it is genuine?

It needs reading to understand it better.

I'm struggling to understand what yer saying mate?:confused:

sm_counsell 26-12-2009 17:47

Agree with Cashman and Jaysay. I went on Facebook once and within an hour all my students wanted to be my friend! (can't think of anything worse) Also I was terribly tempted to check out what my kids were doing, which isn't right, is it?
Once I saw my nephew Kevin (from Ossie )on Facebook but the Ossie dialect and 'choice ' language! was a bit too much for me.
Much prefer this site especially when Cashman talks posh!!