Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-11-2006, 20:29   #1
I am Banned

Accessing webpage problems

Appealing on here to detract from the other thread where a few of us are having serious problems accessing the quiz site yet majority of people dont

Temp Accywebbers quiz thread

Basically i get & i've tried 2 browsers so not a browser prob as other people report being able to see & get in on both browsers

Firefox:
Server not found

Firefox can't find the server at my.funtrivia.com.

IE7:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Despite trying various links to the site, even to other quizes on that site no matter what i do i get ^^^, i've cleared my cache, cleared my temp folder & cookies, re-booted & all to no avail I was able to get on there at 1am this morning but today - not a thing! All other sites open fine except this particular one [aka link in the my signature]. Im sure the few that are having same difficulties will post what they have tried & see if we can sort the problem out with a bit of help

Has anyone techy minded have any other suggestions we can try or have an idea of what could be causing it

Reason im asking is because im admin to the above quiz & cant monitor atm so really need some ideas guys & gals if at all possible - please its getting desperate & the few thats having the problems also are worried theres a conspiracy against them hehehehe strange how theres a few that cant get on to the majority that can so is it a prob with us, the server or other external force????? ran out of causes & solutions now

Can anyone help - please

TIA

Last edited by accymel; 19-11-2006 at 20:36.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-11-2006, 20:40   #2
God Member

Re: Accessing webpage problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
Despite trying various links to the site, even to other quizes on that site no matter what i do i get ^^^, i've cleared my cache, cleared my temp folder & cookies, re-booted & all to no avail
I too have tried all that.

4 of us that we know of can't get on the quiz but there's no similar factor between us. It can't be a local area problem because Spuggie is in chilly Jocko land. It's not an ISP problem as Gayle is on a different one.

A person at another pc that can access the quiz can also do so in my username, so we've ruled that one out.

Mick has suggested changing LAN settings, I'll try this tomorrow as a last resort.
Old 19-11-2006, 20:48   #3
God Member

Can you try the following link

http://75.126.68.186/private/main.cfm?tid=60213

If this brings you the front page its a problem called DNS. ( basically computers don't understand letters for domain names so we have these massive 'phone books'(Called DNS servers) who convert my.trivia.com into whatever its IP address is and then your browser does the request using its IP.

If you can't see what I've done in the link I've replaced the words with teh IP address. This will probably only get you the front page i.e. you won't be able to actually do the quiz as the link to it will still use DNS to resolve the next page.

PS, nowt to do with LAN settings!

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2006, 20:49   #4
I am Banned

Whooooooooooooohoooooooooooooooooooo - that worked cheers

So what was our problem then? lol
Old 19-11-2006, 20:56   #5
God Member

Entwisi you are a star!! I owe you some karma when it's up and working.
Old 19-11-2006, 20:57   #6
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
Entwisi you are a star!! I owe you some karma when it's up and working.

I owe u some too but have to spread it around 1st
Old 19-11-2006, 20:58   #7
God Member

OK, I'll try my best to explain in absolute english

When you click a link or type address into your browser a few things happen,

1) your broswer takes the address and initalli does a Domain Name service lookup(DNS), this takes teh domain name (www.accringtonweb.com) and translates it into an IP address(PCs don't understand text remember)

2) your browser then makes a request to the IP address that has been returned, passing the extra bits of the URL(/private/main.cfm? etc)

3) to cut it short teh browser returns the web page as text (HTML)

The problem is that if your DNS is failing (BTW , this is a ISP issue) your access to teh internet will be sporadic at best. As you have found some sites work, other don't. You can try putting another ISPs DNS servers in your internet settings. I can give you details of this but it is a bit 'involved' for a webpage

Old 19-11-2006, 21:02   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
The problem is that if your DNS is failing (BTW , this is a ISP issue) your access to teh internet will be sporadic at best. As you have found some sites work, other don't. You can try putting another ISPs DNS servers in your internet settings. I can give you details of this but it is a bit 'involved' for a webpage
With the ISP issue it was Gayle that was throwing me, I knew 3 of us were BT broadband but Gayles on Pipex?

If I change the bookmark for the link you've put up entwisi, will that be problem over?
Old 19-11-2006, 21:03   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Ah right it was only the quiz one that didnt work will see how it goes if the ^^ is easy enough should i have anymore probs in the future [hope roy keeps this thread lol
Old 19-11-2006, 21:04   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
With the ISP issue it was Gayle that was throwing me, I knew 3 of us were BT broadband but Gayles on Pipex?

If I change the bookmark for the link you've put up entwisi, will that be problem over?
Yeh thats a point, also cherokee has same prob too, i've re-bookmarked too
Old 19-11-2006, 21:05   #11
God Member

You could try the following

On YOUR PC, look in c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc for a file called hosts

open it in Notepad and add the following line

75.126.68.186 my.funtrivia.com

(PS, its important that you use eithe a good few spaces or at least one <TAB> between teh numbers and teh text)
Save it and you should find that you don't have any issues anymore

This should only be used until your ISP sorts its problems out.

Old 19-11-2006, 21:20   #12
I am Banned

Cool will do that least its a backup if any probs like today occur - cheers entwisi

Yup done that now

Last edited by accymel; 19-11-2006 at 21:23.
Old 19-11-2006, 21:31   #13
God Member

There are loads of tweaks that you can do with the hosts file, ad blocking is one, speeding up site access is another.

Ask if you want details!!!!!

Old 19-11-2006, 21:37   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
There are loads of tweaks that you can do with the hosts file, ad blocking is one, speeding up site access is another.

Ask if you want details!!!!!
I didnt know that they sound intersting all the stuff u can do eh lol - luckily have been familiar with winsys32 & know how to get to them easy enough doing tweaks in 98 so doing that wasnt so bad LOL sounds good
Old 19-11-2006, 21:44   #15
I am Banned

Re done my signature link to quiz in the DNS format as done in bookmark so shouldn't occur any problems from now on [i so hope]

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..