Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-04-2014, 20:38   #1
Senior Member+

BT Infinity

Is anyone else having BT Broadband faults today ? Mine has been on and off more times than a brides nightie.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-04-2014, 21:14   #2
Beacon of light

Re: BT Infinity

I am on BT...but not infinity. Haven't had any connection problems today.
You could go to the BT site and check if there are any problems Frank.

I hate it when things don't work!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2014, 21:30   #3
God Member

I have had BT infinity for over a year.
When I moved to this address I have had connection problems at times. It usually happens during the couple of hours after the kids get 'released' from school and they are all logging on to do homework and/or chat to friends.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2014, 07:28   #4
Senior Member+

This was all yesterday evening. My freesat box which is connected to my bt hub kept getting a message on my tv screen every ten minutes or so saying " Lan cable disconnected and Lan cable connected" and my broadband was dropping.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:37   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
This was all yesterday evening. My freesat box which is connected to my bt hub kept getting a message on my tv screen every ten minutes or so saying " Lan cable disconnected and Lan cable connected" and my broadband was dropping.
Lan cable disconnected should be a hardware fault with the connection between your router and freesat box. I say should because even if you had no broadband connection you would still have a lan connection between router and freesat box but the freesat box could be reporting no internet connection as lan cable disconnected. If it gives the message again see if you have the connection light on for the freesat port on your router. That shows if there is a hardware connection on that port. You could check while it is working which poer and light is active now on your router, you may also have a little LED light of 2 under the socket where the Lan cable plugs in on your freesat box - some do and some don't, these light usual light/flash showing connection and communication.
Was the broadband dropping on another device as well?
Old 17-04-2014, 07:38   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have had BT infinity for over a year.
When I moved to this address I have had connection problems at times. It usually happens during the couple of hours after the kids get 'released' from school and they are all logging on to do homework and/or chat to friends.
That really poor if you lose internet connection just because a few extra users connect.
Old 17-04-2014, 07:51   #7
Senior Member+

My BT Router keeps resetting itself.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:08   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
My BT Router keeps resetting itself.
As in powering off and on again by itself?
Sounds like a router fault, phone them up and get it replaced.
Old 17-04-2014, 08:15   #9
Senior Member+

I've just spoken to BT after a ten minute wait on the phone.When I got my BT home hub 5 from them I was told I still need my openreach modem with it. Now they are telling me I don't need my modem. Conflicting advice or what? I can't wait for my contract to end.
Old 17-04-2014, 12:25   #10
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I've just spoken to BT after a ten minute wait on the phone.When I got my BT home hub 5 from them I was told I still need my openreach modem with it. Now they are telling me I don't need my modem. Conflicting advice or what? I can't wait for my contract to end.
Have you tried it without the modem? From what I just read it looks like you don't need it
Old 17-04-2014, 12:40   #11
Senior Member+

Yes Neil I've tried it without the modem. I've just spoken to an operator in India and he has updated the software and asked me to see what it is like now. He will ring me back in 7 days and if it's no different ,BT will either send an engineer or replace the hub.
Old 18-04-2014, 15:04   #12
Senior Member+

I had problems with BT broadband on Wednesday. The connection was very slow, less then 1mb, and it kept dropping out.
I have an old Cable and Wireless hub and when I installed that I was back around 12mb download speed.
I rang BT and spoke to a guy in Mumbai who did a few tests and said he would monitor it and ring at 2PM today (Friday) which he did. Between us we tested both hubs and he agreed the BT hub was faulty and a new one would be with me in three working days.
He tested my line speed and it was over 14mbs so I am not loosing much between the Wi Fi router and my PC. Both iPad and Iphone were also having the same problem so we established it was the router.
I live about two hundred yards from a BT cabinet which has fibre optic connection and the cable to my house is underground and was put in when the house was new three years ago.

I watch Sky Go a lot on the PC and never have any buffeting so I am content to stay as things are and not go fibre all the way.
Old 18-04-2014, 15:21   #13
Senior Member+

They do not take fibre into your house. It is copper from the cabinet
Old 18-04-2014, 18:11   #14
Senior Member+

Yes I know that Frank, I watched them feed the cable through the underground trunking soon after I moved in to the place.
What I mean is I don't think it is worth me paying the extra to have an engineer fit a Fibre optic modem and associated gizmos and the extra monthly charge.
At present I pay a yearly fee of £141 line rental and £18 a month for unlimited download, evening and weekend calls, BT Vision and the full BT protection packet.
As long as my download speed stays above 10Mb I am very happy.

In my last post I said "no buffeting" when I meant "no buffering".
Old 21-04-2014, 14:27   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Router is turning its self off and then on again as neil asked or are you using wireless and having constant drops(loosing the access point completely?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
As in powering off and on again by itself?
Sounds like a router fault, phone them up and get it replaced.
Here are the solutions

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..