Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-04-2005, 18:14   #1
Roy
Administrator

Cool Hong kong get 1Gbps broadband!!!

I might just have to relocate to hong kong now... This is an amazing deal, and it really should put shame on the UK's backwards telecommunication companies. Look at the prices of their 10Mbps service, 8 quid!!! Just compare that with what your paying now....

Quote:
Hong Kong shows the UK the broadband way 3:45PM As the UK gears up for widespread 8Mbps broadband services, spare a thought for the hard done by denizens of Hong Kong. Hong Kong Broadband Network has launched a symmetric 1Gbps service for a wholly reasonable $215 (about £112) per month.

The company already offers symmetric 100Mbps and 10Mbps services at $34 (£18) and $16 (£8) respectively.

It is also deploying new hardware that will enable the convergence of voice, data and TV services; it will be able to deliver up to 200 pay-TV channels at MPEG-2 DVD quality.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/72153/ho...dband-way.html
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-04-2005, 16:48   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Hong kong get 1Gbps broadband!!!

They were prepared to spend money to put the infrastructure in place years ago.

BT never bothered, and that is why we are where we are now.

It's a bit like the rail system, really

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 09:24   #3
Senior Member+

It looks good, it sounds good but its right over my head Sorry.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 13:43   #4
Senior Member+

OK, think of your internet connection speed, and add a rocket to it, and you may be nearly there!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2005, 21:59   #5
God Member

More than a rocket Vorlon, more like a pack of MPs with an expenses package in sight.

It would be good though, It would mean real ability to get co-operative working in place. My works still run on 100Mbps networks so teh ability to work at home faster than in the Office would be superb.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 11:14   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
the ability to work at home faster than in the Office would be superb.
It is all relative to the speed of the site you are connected to surely ( oopps i mean Ian, sorry for calling you Shirly ). Nip over to Hong Kong and see how much faster AccyWeb is on 1Gig compared to 10Meg connection. My guess, no different because the web server cant serve the pages that fast anyway. What is the internet connection speed of your servers Roy?
Old 01-05-2005, 11:31   #7
God Member

But with the correct configuration your browser can make multiple requests simutaneously and well configured servers can serve content from multiple servers. e.g, text/HTML from one, graphics from another, ads etc from another. Grab the source for an ebay page and see how many domains are used to serve the pages.

As for co-op working, we are talking about the ability to run Video conferencing at the same time as working on documents and serving data out to others.

I log my network connection at work and with what I do for a living I am often maxing out 100Mbps for large chunks of time and it shows on my desktop.

Ian
Old 01-05-2005, 13:09   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

When you start adding video then I can see the need for very fast connections. When we eventually see those connection speeds in the UK I can see the end of satellite TV and even analog phones for fast connected homes. All you would need is one fast internet connection for all your needs.

It would need a serious connection to serve out BBC1 while Eastenders is on
Old 01-05-2005, 14:27   #9
God Member

Or clustering, then there's clones, virtual machines on Mainframes, lots of ways to get massive throughput, Believe it or not is is (relatively)cheap to get this sort of throughput served, the problem in this country is the lack of fat pipes to the end users.

Ian
Old 01-05-2005, 16:35   #10
Roy
Administrator

The accyweb server is on a 10meg connection and the ads are served from a server which has a 100meg connection. The reason you want a higher speed is so you can do multiple things at once without slowdown. IP telephony/downloading/browsing all at the same time without any slowdown would be nice!!
I have recently found out the truth about this 1gig connection anyway, it is 1gig to all the servers on hong kong island, but connection to the rest of the world goes down to 10meg due to price of bandwidth and pipes that are to small. Still a great deal for the people of hong kong though!
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 20:11   #11
God Member

Heh, Just like here then, Big fat pipes connecting the important bits then string and sellotape to us paying punters.
Old 02-05-2005, 21:52   #12
God Member

The thing is, BT, easynet etc are looking in to more adsl products, adsl2+, providing more download speeds.. but not really any more upload..

I'd love to have more upload so I can send videos ive made to people, would love to host a website, ftp, games server for a MMORPG I play.. but this just isn't possible on adsl.

Eventualy cable will start giving the same up and down, I hope.. but cable isnt even installed on manchester road

Well actualy, I tell a lie.. it is down in the ground, just.. it dosnt work and NTL say it isnt there
andrewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 08:40   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyfr
I'd love to have more upload so I can send videos ive made to people, would love to host a website, ftp, games server for a MMORPG I play.. but this just isn't possible on adsl.
How many users are you looking to support? If its under 20 concurrent sessions you should be fine(that is of course as long as your site is well designed and doesn't have silly large pages.) I ran a web site, FTP server, Remote login and P2P on an old P2-300 for 3 years on a 256Kuplink. On a test we managed to hit 50 concurrent sessions of a BB software package (av page size 75K) before teh usesr started taking teh hit.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..