Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2012, 06:29   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Is it is scam

I recived this e-mail today
now i must admit to knowing this lady as she has done a lot for me over the last 2 years
but even so read the e-mail and check the language used i dont think if it was genuine it would read like it does.

Hi, Hope you get this on time, Things actually got out of control
on my trip to Madrid Spain. I was mugged, all my belongings
including mobile phones and credit cards were all stolen. Its a terrible
experience for me. I need your help flying back home as we am trying
to raise some money.
Am Cash Strapped at the moment.
I've made contact with my bank but
the best they can do is to mail me a new card which will take days to
arrive here and it's a waste of time. I need you to lend me money,
will pay back once I get this over with.

Western Union Transfer is the fastest option to wire funds to me.
Let me know if you need my details(Full names/location) to effect a transfer.
You can reach me via email as i have lost my mobile phone.

I wait for your response.

Thanks,

(They are still waiting)

Last edited by Mick; 18-02-2012 at 06:35.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2012, 08:08   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Agree think Kens being a bit naive to think its just mischief.
very naive even for a politician
Old 18-02-2012, 08:13   #18
Resting in Peace

One has to wonder just where these people will try next, having read that Email mick, it wouldn't seem feasible from a family member or a close friend, I would have thought the first thing somebody in that position would have phoned not send that email
Old 18-02-2012, 11:38   #19
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I reckon this is a serious scam, imagine if you got this sort of mail from a close friend?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
One has to wonder just where these people will try next, having read that Email mick, it wouldn't seem feasible from a family member or a close friend, I would have thought the first thing somebody in that position would have phoned not send that email
Agree with Mancie and jaysay, this is a serious matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
I recived this e-mail today
now i must admit to knowing this lady as she has done a lot for me over the last 2 years
but even so read the e-mail and check the language used i dont think if it was genuine it would read like it does.

Hi, Hope you get this on time, Things actually got out of control
on my trip to Madrid Spain. I was mugged, all my belongings
including mobile phones and credit cards were all stolen. Its a terrible
experience for me. I need your help flying back home as we am trying
to raise some money.
Am Cash Strapped at the moment.
I've made contact with my bank but
the best they can do is to mail me a new card which will take days to
arrive here and it's a waste of time. I need you to lend me money,
will pay back once I get this over with.

Western Union Transfer is the fastest option to wire funds to me.
Let me know if you need my details(Full names/location) to effect a transfer.
You can reach me via email as i have lost my mobile phone.

I wait for your response.

Thanks,

(They are still waiting)
How anyone receiving the above could think it was genuine is beyond me. The language just does not read correctly, even for a HBC councillor!

Sent I would say by someone whose first language is not English, like most of these, and as soon as Western Union is mentioned alarm bells should start to ring...

I get several scam emails each day, never so far purporting to be from someone I know... but yesterday I had one from Yasser Arafat's missus and I've had them from Gaddafi's family (not)
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 14:03   #20
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Agree with Mancie and jaysay, this is a serious matter.

How anyone receiving the above could think it was genuine is beyond me. The language just does not read correctly, even for a HBC councillor!

Sent I would say by someone whose first language is not English, like most of these, and as soon as Western Union is mentioned alarm bells should start to ring...

I get several scam emails each day, never so far purporting to be from someone I know... but yesterday I had one from Yasser Arafat's missus and I've had them from Gaddafi's family (not)
Ya susie, when anybody uses that statement send money by Western Union, should be enough really and a friend doesn't write letters like that
Old 18-02-2012, 17:42   #21
Junior Member+

Exclamation Re: Is it is scam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
I reckon this is a serious scam, imagine if you got this sort of mail from a close friend?.
Relatives of mine (who live in Kent ) received a similar plea 8 or 9 months ago - allegedly from a close friend of theirs (who just happened to be globe trotting at the time !).

Fortunately they immediately suspected a scam, knowing that their friend would have contacted his bank for assistance, and/or had he needed any help or advice from them, he would have done so in person via reverse charge 'phone call.

If kids can hack into MI 5 computers and the White House etc. how come the powers that be don't get these types of criminals pronto ?
They are the scum of the earth exploiting vunerable people.
Not everybody is well enough or intelligent enough or quick witted enough to see through these scams - and I don't mean that unkindly or in a patronising way.
ejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 21:36   #22

If anyone needs any money or gets stuck abroad then contact me i'm gonna have loads of money soon. A long lost relative of mine died in Nigeria recently and left me £650000000 GBP. Once I've raised about £10000 to send to this kind lawyer in Nigeria via western something or other to cover admin costs, and given him my bank account no. and pin no. he promises he will transfer the lot into my bank account.

CANT WAIT..planning my notice speech as I type.....LOL

Phil
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 22:01   #23
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Only one? ive had loads of long lost relatives who croaked in nigeria, left me millions, but as i don't need it, I aint bothered.
Old 21-02-2012, 23:00   #24
God Member

You do get some classics.. had one from some artist selling his paintings in the USA and wanted to avoid tax.. all I had to do was give my bank details and I would get 20% of his earnings..all good fun.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..