Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-02-2008, 19:57   #1

Question Mobile web browsers?

Had my phone (sony ericsson w850i) for around 8months and after 2months i fell out with the standard browsers slowness so downloaded opera mini. Which was a huge improvement i still currently use opera mini 3. (Tried 4 and hated it). Just wondered if anyone knew of any others that are worth trying.
Old 16-02-2008, 21:27   #2
God Member

Re: Mobile web browsers?

no use to you but Nokias N series browser is good. There aren't many mobile ones to choose from. Its also important what 'type' of pages you use by default. If you default to mobile optimised then most are quick, if you try using full sized pages then they do slow down quite a bit

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2008, 21:59   #3

Well i use the mobile version of a couple of sites but mostly i use the 'normal' sites. Kinda got used to waiting a while for pages to load and can tolerate it, just wondered if there where any alternatives other than opera mini. Did figure out the other day i can have opera mini 3 and 4 running at the same time but that has a habit of making my phone freeze up lol. But it did work ok for about an hour. Its a shame more companies dont develop browsers for mobiles as surely its quite a lucrative market.
Old 16-02-2008, 22:19   #4
God Member

its a market that is only just coming to becoming lucrative. Data charges are still extortianate for most people, wifi is the only true way to connect to the internet unless your company is paying the mobile contract (Ian pats his work Blackberry smugly ). I know some companies are starting to bring data charges down but its a slow process to get them to anything like home based access. The nearest is 3.

You also have tpo remember that phones even with stuff like teh N95 and ilk don't have huge amounts of free RAM and are still on relatively slow processors in order to keep battery life somewhere near reasonable. The technology to shove faster CPUs in is there but they suck the life out of batteries. as it is there is a sweet spot where if your phone lasts a full day your happy and it goes on charge overnight. if it runs out at 4pm then your a unhappy bunny.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..