Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2008, 20:47   #16
Senior Member+

Re: msn virus

yep... thats where i got it from!

righty.........this is how i did it.. some steps may not be needed but it worked for me...

1st uninstall msn messenger.....then go to local disk c.. and delete msn.log THAT is the virus...empty recycle bin thingy.... then system restore.. reinstall msn and you should be good to go

I did a scan with spyware dr before and after and the trojan is gone

any donations of good karma greatley recieved

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2008, 20:52   #17
God Member

goodness me, all I did was let it download because I wanted to have a look at it(I could have declined it if I wanted), opened it. broswed the ascii within teh binary executable and posted the message! it is totally harmless in Linux

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 20:53   #18
Senior Member+

what is linux entwisi?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 24-04-2008, 20:54   #19
Senior Member+

im just not daft enough to open it lol
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 21:17   #20
God Member

Linux is a FREE alternative to the Windows XP/Vista that most of you use.

It does not suffer from viruses, trojans or any of the crap that you Windows users put up with.

any software bugs are fixed on average within 7 days where Microsoft take an average of 45 days.

99% of software that runs on it is FREE. you can also download the actual program code for pretty much everything and if you want(and have teh skill) change/improve/tweak it.

In order to help you get an idea of it it also runs happily on the same PC as windows, you get a menu when you stat up as to which OS you wish to use that time. recently they have even made it able to run "inside" windows so you can get an idea what it is like

have a look here Ubuntu Home Page | Ubuntu

that is one version ( we geeks call them distros), there are other depending on what your individual requirements are but Ubuntu is a very good starters version. e.g There is one alled Peanut Linus that runs brilliantly on really old and low powered kit.

Linux is actually used on lots of things alraedy that you probably don't realise, BT Home hub runs it, some mobiles run it, anything from microwaves to personal video recorders can use it. teh whole point is that its totally configurabel to whatever you want to apply it to. I have an iPod that can run either the original Apple OS or Linux. the Linux version supports more types of music files, has extra games and can even record sound(which the original Apple one can't).

Old 24-04-2008, 22:58   #21
God Member

SEEMS OTHER FOLK HAVE HAD IT TOO. THIS IS FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE I VISIT .

Hi All

If you get a message saying

Check this out somecoolstuff BRB

somecoolstuff is a link DO NOT OPEN IT!!!

IT IS A VIRUS sorry I got sent i not knowing opened it now have a awful virus have wiped my pc twice in the last 2 weeks not knowing where it came from only found out today, cause a friend on my list got the message from me thankfully she didn't open it

AND ALSO.

my pc has been effectively terminated this week by a trojan downloader.

we had AVG antivirus running, also spybot, firewall was on, this virus was specifically written to get through AVG, it was transmitted to us via msn messenger. The pc is now unuseable. We can pay Tech Guys to try and recover the data - photos, documents etc, I cannot replace some of the photos, also I had around 40 gigs of music stored on the pc, all lost if Tech Guys cant salvage it. GRRRRR.
The virus could not be removed by AVG so if this is what you are using on your system please take care, especially if you use messenger.
We are now looking to buy a new pc which will cost us around £600, plus a bill to recover data from the old one.

The virus, once its on your computer, uses msn to transmit itself to all your online contacts without your knowledge, it downloads a host of malicious software that deletes vital files and leaves you unable to even log on to windows. We had some help from a friend who showed us how to make a boot cd and we did eventually manage to get into windows, but the virus has blocked access to every function so we cannot carry out system restore or access any data files, we cant even get in through BIOS or recovery console, in short, its totally wrecked.

I plan to stop using AVG and switch to Bitdefender, and we are aiming to use yahoo messenger in preference to msn. PLEASE EVERYONE KEEP YOUR COMPUTER PROTECTED
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 23:00   #22
Senior Member+

it got past NOD...... and a few others i tried before spyware dr picked it up.............

Old 24-04-2008, 23:02   #23
Senior Member+

my avg deteccted it
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 23:05   #24
God Member

Thankfully not had it yet but it dont sound too good.
will be keeping an eye out .
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2008, 23:19   #25
Senior Member+

ive put i how to fix it if you do get it.......

Old 25-04-2008, 00:14   #26
Senior Member+

So if I follow your Ubuntu link and download the thing it will be a better option than my Windows xp that I have now? ( and it won't cost me owt?)
In basic English please.....
Old 25-04-2008, 03:30   #27
God Member

cherokee, you can probably save teh data yourself.

Download teh Ubuntu CD from teh link I posted, burn the disk and boot your PC with it. Unless teh HD is broken physically(i.e. won't spin up) or the partition table is borked (although even this is fixable if you really know what your doing) your data is safe.

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES LET ANYONE FORMAT THE HARD DISK UNTILL YOU HAVE LET ME HAVE A GO AT IT.

A lot of these computer shops/etc have very little clue in stuff like this. I have rescued loads of data from properly messed up disks before now.

Old 25-04-2008, 04:53   #28
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
So if I follow your Ubuntu link and download the thing it will be a better option than my Windows xp that I have now? ( and it won't cost me owt?)
In basic English please.....
Its a 'different' option. It runs your computer just as windows does. Windows programs don't work(hence viruses etc being useless on it) in it but there is usually a free alternative or in the case of some programs a linux version. It was also designed to be secure from the ground up whereas Windows is insecure out teh box and then you have to start installing all these AV/firewalls/Spyware/adware/etcprograms

e.g.

Firefox/OPen Office, Opera, all have linux versions as well as Windows ones,

instead of Outlook there is Evolution which is a clone of it, GIMP is effectively Photoshop, Amarok is a superb MP3/iTunes replacement, Pidgeon is MSN/Yahoo etc al rolled into one.

Another thing is there is usually a choice in "Everything" to do with Linux. Even down the what we call the Window Manager. The two main fully featured ones are KDE and Gnome, KDE is more 'windows' like, Gnome is more MAC like in appearence. You choose which one you like best and can even switch between them as you see fit. There are others that have fewer bells and whistles that are made to work on low powered machines (IceWM, think anything from a pentium 166 with 128M RAM upwards yes, that 166mhz as opposed to your 2000Mhz machine!).

Linux is free to use as is pretty much all the software. You don't even have to mess about with CD's etc as all software is available online. you just say "install that that and that " and it goes and gets the latest version and installs it all for you, no more clicks or installers to mess with, choose this that or otherwise.

whats its downsides? untill the last couple of years you had to have a clue to install it and if all your hardware isn't supported it could be a pain to set up. That has changed dramatically this last 2-3 years. Unless you have absolutely bleeding edge hardware you should be fine. The beauty is of course you can "Try before you buy". in that you can actually run the whole OS from a CD without touching your Windows install(extremely useful in cases like Cherokee's where Windos is screwed, You can use it to rescue all that data because your not even trying to run Windows). If all your hardware is fine and you fancy giving it a go you can install it to the hard disk( takes about half a dozen clicks and ~ 30 mins all in IIRC). even now it doesn't remove or touch your Windows install. at startup you just get a menu saying do you want windows or linux today?

Better???? I certainly think so, Different - yes, Full of choice - yes, secure - yes, The Future? - who knows, its certainly not going to go away, Most web servers in the world run Apache(the web server software) on Linux.

hope that answers it, feel free to ask more if you like

Old 25-04-2008, 07:58   #29
Resting in Peace

If You Do Use AVG then please read on
If you have not done so yet please update your AVG to version 8.01 free from here most of you will still be using version 7 or 7.5 this is a big update
but installs easy keep upto date it helps

AVG Anti-Virus Free 8.01 - Computeractive

Last edited by Mick; 25-04-2008 at 08:03.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2008, 09:01   #30
Senior Member+

Ive been looking up what a trojan does to your computer... i like this one...its eeeeevil i tells ya ! lol

WikiAnswers - What does a trojan virus do to a computer

« facebook | sky! »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..