Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-11-2004, 22:37   #1

new virus warning

just been informed from a friend in america about a new virus found by mcaffee this morning its meant to be the worst recorded it will come in email or i.m as a card for you as soon as it gets on your comp it sends itself to all screen names on your comp from your name and completely wipes your hard drive not sure of the name of it yet it hasnt been stated
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-11-2004, 07:38   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: new virus warning

If you get a name check that it isn't one of the pesky hoaxes which are becoming as much of a nuisance as the flippin viruses themselves these days.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 08:56   #3

no its definately for real it was on cnn news
rockrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 09:30   #4
Senior Member+

Right the best way to avoid this is to put an address at the top of you list as [email protected] there is no such address and the email cant go any further there fore stops right there and it wont go to anyone else on your list. I got this tip from a friend and it makes sense. Hope that helps you.
MUMMIBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2004, 09:44   #5

prevention is the best fix

top tips

#1 never open emails when you dont know who they are from
#2 turn off HTML formatting emails in your email client
#3 dont use Microsoft email clients *outlook or outlook express* i reccomend thunderbird
#4 dont open attachment, especially ones with icons that you might not even recognise no matter who they are from
#5 dont click yes no matter what
#6 install a good up to date virus checker like mcafee norton of sophos
#7 have a good firewall this keeps other viruses from exploiting your windows computers which are riddled with holes. get a firewall plug the problem.

!!!virus checkers are only any good if you keep them up to do
!!!a virus checker only helps the above points are essential

i dont have a virus checker at home , common sence and good practices keep them out and i only need to virus check every now and again just for good measure. I use the sophos online virus checker, installing virus checking software will degrate the performance of your pc. If your just surfint the internet and word processing you wont notice a problem.d
Old 18-11-2004, 23:46   #6

or just be like me have no friends to e-mail u at all lol
LYNX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 15:47   #7
God Member

omg that is really weird b4 I came here i was checking my emails and there was one with a christmas card saying ''funniest christmas card u wuill ever see''.

luckily i tried to open it and it said error on this page and would'nt let me open it THANK GOD!!!!! thanks for the warning cause they may have got me
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2004, 16:16   #8
Resident Waffler

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/hoaxes/virtualcard.html

This sounds very similar.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2004, 15:48   #9

yeah cheers for that ive just had a similar email to the one u described and deleted it straight away phew..
Old 25-11-2004, 15:24   #10
Senior Member+

If you ever get an email telling you about a virus, check it on either the Sophos one already listed, or Symantec. 9 times out of 10 it will most likely be a hoax.

btw, regarding Outlook - the XP and 2003 versions automatically block a lot of files types, so that they cannot be accessed. This includes things like .exe, .scr, .pst, etc.

There is a patch you can use to circumvent this, but the easiest way (without messing around with the registry) is to get whoever is sending you such a file to zip it up and send it that way. You can then pretty sure that it is from a trusted source.

And the tip about putting [email protected] is a hoax as well!
vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..