Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2011, 14:32   #1
God Member

Tripadvisor...

Have been using this site on internet for some time -it's useful for getting an idea of places you're going to visit, things do do and see and for booking hotels...

This last month I have booked hotels through it twice and and have noticed something strange. In both cases the availability of rooms was always in the higher category but at a seemingly reduced price. This Saturday I was staying on Lake Garda, when I booked (through Expedia via Triadvisor) it showed only 2 rooms left in a 15 room hotel, either a junior suite or deluxe double -when we actually got to the hotel the girl on reception told us they had only just re-opened that day and there was only one other couple staying there as well as us!

Something isn't quite right here -I feel as though this is some kind of a scam....

Had heard rumours about some of the people's recommendations being faked on Tripadvisor but didn't expect this....

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-12-2011, 18:06   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tripadvisor...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Have been using this site on internet for some time -it's useful for getting an idea of places you're going to visit, things do do and see and for booking hotels...

This last month I have booked hotels through it twice and and have noticed something strange. In both cases the availability of rooms was always in the higher category but at a seemingly reduced price. This Saturday I was staying on Lake Garda, when I booked (through Expedia via Triadvisor) it showed only 2 rooms left in a 15 room hotel, either a junior suite or deluxe double -when we actually got to the hotel the girl on reception told us they had only just re-opened that day and there was only one other couple staying there as well as us!

Something isn't quite right here -I feel as though this is some kind of a scam....

Had heard rumours about some of the people's recommendations being faked on Tripadvisor but didn't expect this....
Its Simple really mobertol, don't use it again, sorted
Old 05-12-2011, 18:40   #3

I wouldn't go that far.

It's probably a case of the Hotel not keeping Tripadvisor up to date with their bookings.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 18:42   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
I wouldn't go that far.

It's probably a case of the Hotel not keeping Tripadvisor up to date with their bookings.
Or the hotel pulling a fast one Sam
Old 05-12-2011, 20:43   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If yeh see whats available on yon first n price, THEN phone the hotel up n ask about a booking, i did that once can't remember which site it was, cos was 6/7yrs ago, but we got better than the site was saying, i only suspected n checked, so twas worth a phone call.
Old 05-12-2011, 21:05   #6
Beacon of light

I am a contributor to Tripadvisor......they take fake reviews very seriously.
I think it is highly likely that the hotel had not kept tripadvisor up to date with their occupancy.
It seems that some people are telling hotels that if they don't give them discounts or room upgrades then they will post bad reviews on tripadvisor....this can be very detrimental to their business.
I have read some really bad reviews of hotels, and yet when I have visited I have been very satisfied with both the service and the hotel in general.
There are some people who want five star service for no star prices.
In this life you get what you pay for. There's nowt fer nowt.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 13:47   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If yeh see whats available on yon first n price, THEN phone the hotel up n ask about a booking, i did that once can't remember which site it was, cos was 6/7yrs ago, but we got better than the site was saying, i only suspected n checked, so twas worth a phone call.
Probably the wisest thing to do Cashy -from now on I think I'll make that call...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence

Last edited by mobertol; 06-12-2011 at 13:48. Reason: Capital letter
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 20:22   #8
God Member

some hotels also only offer websites a limited amount of their rooms to advertise cos if they offered them all to them as they are not directly linked to the hotel it could cause trouble with double bookings

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 21:10   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
some hotels also only offer websites a limited amount of their rooms to advertise cos if they offered them all to them as they are not directly linked to the hotel it could cause trouble with double bookings
Thats true n in many instances they offer em rooms wi not so clever views is my experience.
Old 07-12-2011, 20:47   #10
Senior Member+

I think Trip Advisor is very good for getting a rough idea via the reviews of certain places, but you are better off asking questions on the Forum part of the website to get a better idea of things & places. There's a forum for almost anywhere you would want to go.

Much better places than Trip Advisor to get accommodation deals though, sites such as Travel Republic, Alpharooms & Lastcheck usually much better & cheaper.

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..