Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   Church Traffic Lights (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/church-traffic-lights-44902.html)

park381 11-01-2009 18:40

Church Traffic Lights

Looks like they have made a good job of knocking down the old building at the lights, landscaped, knee high fence, and wow.........young trees complete with steel guards. (how long will they last)

What a shame they did not do that on Blackburn road when they knocked down all those houses.

What a mess as you drive in to Accrington :eek:

buttonsmum 11-01-2009 18:50

Re: Church Traffic Lights

It's a shame they couldn't have done that when they knocked down the Sacred Heart church.

park381 11-01-2009 19:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by buttonsmum (Post 668328)
It's a shame they couldn't have done that when they knocked down the Sacred Heart church.

Will agree with you on that one, but is that bit of land not owned by the Church, or was the land rented from ????

buttonsmum 11-01-2009 19:07

Not sure who owns the land

BERNADETTE 11-01-2009 19:09

Went past on the bus last week and got to say it looked a lot better without them horrible buildings:)

panther 11-01-2009 19:12

They need to knock the warehouses behind it too, now that looks the eyesore:rolleyes:

park381 11-01-2009 19:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 668338)
Went past on the bus last week and got to say it looked a lot better without them horrible buildings:)

Have HBC not got major plans for church traffic light area, like a double roundabout, that would solve the problem of all the cars going through the lights on "red"

BERNADETTE 11-01-2009 19:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by park381 (Post 668346)
Have HBC not got major plans for church traffic light area, like a double roundabout, that would solve the problem of all the cars going through the lights on "red"

There are plans afoot for the area, not sure what they entail.

West Ender 11-01-2009 20:02

Are you talking about the lights at the Commercial? I know it's changed completely since I lived in West End, when the route along Blackburn Rd was really the only way into Accrington, but which buildings have they knocked down? I seem to remember the old Council Offices had gone last time I drove down there. I always loved that curved building, even the Victorian public loos next door to it, and sometimes interesting architecture gets sacrificed for "improvement". So, what's gone now?

katex 11-01-2009 20:19

Quote:

Have you any statistics that cars go through on red Park ? .. used to do that run every morning 'till I retired ... never really saw anyone doing this ... :confused:

Feel they need to alter the light sequence that's all.

Not enough land for a roundabout ... which would not be as safe anyway.

Neil 11-01-2009 20:19

Quote:

As I am sure you already know any plans for roundabouts will be Lancashire County Council and not Hyndburn's.

You are probably also aware that Lancashire will not be doing anything about the area and several others in Hyndburn unless they do the Rapid Transport plan they think is such a good idea.

It was suggested at a recent Area Council meting that Lancashire are trying to black mail the residents of Hyndburn to accept this bus route even though it brings with it many unwanted things like reduced parking outside shops in Union road and outside residents houses in Ossy and Clayton as well as other areas.

As for solving the problem of cars going through on red I would expect a Policeman or two could solve that.

BERNADETTE 11-01-2009 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by West Ender (Post 668351)
Are you talking about the lights at the Commercial? I know it's changed completely since I lived in West End, when the route along Blackburn Rd was really the only way into Accrington, but which buildings have they knocked down? I seem to remember the old Council Offices had gone last time I drove down there. I always loved that curved building, even the Victorian public loos next door to it, and sometimes interesting architecture gets sacrificed for "improvement". So, what's gone now?

Yes we are talking about the lights near the Commercial. They have demolished three buildings as you go up Market Street(think it is) towards Oswaldtwisle. Just lower down from the now defunct Post Office.

churchman phil 11-01-2009 20:25

It was decided last year about the double roundabout scheme. They are supposed to be starting work on it around March iirc.

katex 11-01-2009 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by churchman phil (Post 668368)
It was decided last year about the double roundabout scheme. They are supposed to be starting work on it around March iirc.

Oh ok Phil ... interesting thanks.

West Ender 11-01-2009 20:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 668366)
Yes we are talking about the lights near the Commercial. They have demolished three buildings as you go up Market Street(think it is) towards Oswaldtwisle. Just lower down from the now defunct Post Office.

Oh, thanks Bernie. I got a shock last time I was in that area but I think I'd be totally lost now. Church Con Club, a red-brick building as I remember (I used to go to dances there in the 50s), was reasonably close to the traffic lights. Has that gone? I believe my mother's old home, Church Railway Station House, no longer exists and the station is now just platforms.