Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree1Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-09-2004, 05:58   #46
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
If the first pic here is the road you are referring to I think we're in the right place. There is another entry but that just seems to lead to a private area.(see second photo)

I took a few more photographs of the wall, (must learn to use less pixels so I can have a larger image) to see if we can work out what was what, but it's hard to get a good angle.
Willow, nice piccys, but none of them are what was wood street. The first one is the entrance to Coach Road and the second one is or was a drive way to the former railway sidings, which are now used to locate travellers. You need to come back at least 400 yds towards Church and past the former entrance to the Gas works. Blair Electronics use to be in the building on its corner nearest Church.

Wood Street: If you go on Market Street and stand at the front door of what was the Con Club. Immediately on your left is what can only be described as a ruined track, which was (last time I looked) full of rubbish and piles of soil etc. It goes directly to Blackburn road..and opposite it's exit to B'burn road stands what was the Navigators.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-09-2004, 07:09   #47
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Yes that's the Navigation!

My arched window is slightly round the bend. (Busman will probably tell you that it's like me in that case!! Out there yesterday evening photographing walls whilst passers by looked at me as if I'd gone totally mad.)

It is in the wall where there's a gate with a Blythe's sign on it. (It says "Emergency Access" or something like that.)

There is also this doorway which still has a door in it which leads through to Blythes. The main entrance is down Bridge Street but something at the back of my mind says the "Emergency Access" used to be a main entrance. Maybe it was changed as coming down Bridge Street gives easier access for lorries turning right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Church wall 007a.jpg (57.3 KB, 37 views)
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 09:34   #48
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Yes that's the Navigation!

My arched window is slightly round the bend. (Busman will probably tell you that it's like me in that case!! Out there yesterday evening photographing walls whilst passers by looked at me as if I'd gone totally mad.)

It is in the wall where there's a gate with a Blythe's sign on it. (It says "Emergency Access" or something like that.)

There is also this doorway which still has a door in it which leads through to Blythes. The main entrance is down Bridge Street but something at the back of my mind says the "Emergency Access" used to be a main entrance. Maybe it was changed as coming down Bridge Street gives easier access for lorries turning right.
Your right as usual Willow...That was the main entrance to Blythes many years ago. I think there was some concern about lorries pulling out of it and the road in both directions was blind to them.

I use to play around there when I was a kid. Further on after you go under the railway bridge, on the other side of the canal there are some ruined red brick kilns. I don't know what they were used for, but we use to go bird nesting inside them. Twas an area full of wonder for young kids (that's if you could get across the canal by sneaking through Blythes or walking across the railway lines on the bridge!!!!). Twenty steps is next to the bridge on the opposite side to the canal and leads by a rough path to Hill Street. There's not 20 steps but everybody called them 20 steps...I wonder why?

Tealeaf may know?

Last edited by Darby; 16-09-2004 at 09:35.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 09:41   #49
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Your right as usual Willow...
LOL
More often than not I'm as woolly as they come. I have vague memories of things but I think my brain cells have siezed up. I was reading this week that human brain cells start to die off once the brain reaches full maturity (around age 21) which probably explains a lot.

I went out to take photos of the area on Blackburn Rd, both sides, but by the time I got back and downloaded them I'd forgotten which photo related to what!

This morning my camera wizard was acting up and I seem to have something very strange on the SD card I was using yesterday.

Somewhere I have a map and when I can find it I intend to ask a question...............it may take some time.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 09:43   #50
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby
Further on after you go under the railway bridge, on the other side of the canal there are some ruined red brick kilns. I don't know what they were used for, but we use to go bird nesting inside them. Twas an area full of wonder for young kids (that's if you could get across the canal by sneaking through Blythes or walking across the railway lines on the bridge!!!!). Twenty steps is next to the bridge on the opposite side to the canal and leads by a rough path to Hill Street. There's not 20 steps but everybody called them 20 steps...I wonder why?

Tealeaf may know?
Would that be the coke ovens? I used to get there by going along the canal bank from the back of the Hare & Hounds.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 10:39   #51
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Would that be the coke ovens? I used to get there by going along the canal bank from the back of the Hare & Hounds.
Yeah that's right, but the canal path was on the other side from them (I think...My brain cells have had a lot of time to die off!).

You must have been around at the same time as I was? Did you live up the West End?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 12:09   #52
God Member

 
Tealeaf's Avatar
 

Re: church

Oh Dear..........It must be that strong German beer on the the brain cells, Darby. The canal tow path runs alonside the coke ovens; it switches to the other side at Church Kirk bridge and stays threre until it reaches Clayton (see the previous attachment on the toffs at the Dunkenhalgh estate)

Until about 1970, the support for the winding engine above the Aspen Colliery shaft was still in place by the coking ovens. This was pulled down and the little canal "inlet or dock" all tidied up about then. Like the warehouse further along, this was a technologically advanced facility for it's time. The coal came up the shaft, into the ovens, then loaded onto barges in the dock an away. Once again, clever stuff.

Some of you may also recall the wooden signals box which stood close by. Again, this was pulled down about 1970, as the signals moved from manual to electronic. The interesting thing about the railway as it crosses from this point towards Rishton is that it appears to be built on a massive embankment across Aspen valley. But it's not an embankment; it's actually a huge wooden viaduct which was filled in with soil sometime around 1900. I've seen piccy's before....it would be nice to have posted on here. Anyone help....Atarah?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 13:15   #53
Senior Member+
 
Bazf's Avatar
 

Re: church

1.Church siding on the Boulevard looking to the Railway Station. The trams left here for Intack, Church and Accrington until 1932 when Accrington trams ceased to run. The terminus was then moved to Salford. A very good overall view of the Boulevard and Station. Note the old charabanc to the left.

2.The Church siding with a view of the Star&Garter pub and Syd Smith's Funeral Directors and Garage (also a taxi place!). He was a well-known character who always wore a bowler hat. Notice the people waiting in the shelter for the next tram.
3. This was the Church terminus from 1932 when Accrington trams ceased running and the trams came straight down Eanam to here and then back. A good view of the Bay Horse and Lord Nelson pubs and the opening into Penny Street.

4.A splendid view at the Churc siding with the conductor looking curiously at the camera, and interestingly, the passengers boarding at the front of the tram.

5. A snowy scene in the siding. Imagine being on the top deck in this weather - brrrrr! W. W. Rice and Sons Printers and Mooreys Health Store are in view, and the Salvation Army Citadel is behind the trams.

6.Looking towards Church, with the Fountain Brewery on the left, later to become the Redcap Paint Works, and beyond is the Old Mother Redcap pub.

7.Heading to Church with an Accrington Corporation bus in pursuit. On this country section the trams could get up to a fair old speed.
8.Steam tram and trailer underneath Church Railway Bridge, and on its way to Blackburn. The scene is very much as it is today.

9.Church bound tram on the Accrington side of the railway bridge.
10.The Church terminus looking towards Blackburn, and the lines are being laid in preparation for the opening of the electric trams from Accrington to Oswaldtwistle in 1907. Image the disruption this must have caused! The Canal Warehouse and the Church Commerical Hotel can be seen in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg church.jpg (39.2 KB, 99 views)
File Type: jpg church 2.jpg (27.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg church 3.jpg (34.2 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg church 4.jpg (34.8 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg church 5.jpg (28.0 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg church 6.jpg (23.7 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg church 7.jpg (23.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg church 8.jpg (25.9 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg church 9.jpg (26.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg church 10.jpg (43.0 KB, 96 views)
__________________

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 16:35   #54
God Member
 
Acrylic-bob's Avatar
 

Re: church

Brilliant photographs Bazf. Once again it is disheartening to see just how much has gone.
__________________
Enough is ENOUGH Get Britain out of Europe
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 17:04   #55
God Member

 
Tealeaf's Avatar
 

Talking Re: church

I agree..but has Bazf barrowed them from http://www.cottontown.org/page.cfm?p...5&language=eng

Or has Blackburn libary borrowed them from Bazf?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 18:28   #56
Senior Member+
 
Bazf's Avatar
 

Re: church

not borrowed stolen
__________________

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2004, 22:53   #57
Senior Member+
 
Bazf's Avatar
 

Re: church

T, I was looking for an area to study for my history degree and as I come from the NW I decided to concentrate on it and these web sites were the ones recomended, also I am crawling the web for as many photos of the late 1800s and early 1900s so watch this space I will use all my Lancashire tanacity to beg, steal or borrow them
__________________

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 04:44   #58
Senior Member
 
Darby's Avatar
 

Re: church

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Oh Dear..........It must be that strong German beer on the the brain cells, Darby. The canal tow path runs alonside the coke ovens; it switches to the other side at Church Kirk bridge and stays threre until it reaches Clayton (see the previous attachment on the toffs at the Dunkenhalgh estate)

Until about 1970, the support for the winding engine above the Aspen Colliery shaft was still in place by the coking ovens. This was pulled down and the little canal "inlet or dock" all tidied up about then. Like the warehouse further along, this was a technologically advanced facility for it's time. The coal came up the shaft, into the ovens, then loaded onto barges in the dock an away. Once again, clever stuff.

Some of you may also recall the wooden signals box which stood close by. Again, this was pulled down about 1970, as the signals moved from manual to electronic. The interesting thing about the railway as it crosses from this point towards Rishton is that it appears to be built on a massive embankment across Aspen valley. But it's not an embankment; it's actually a huge wooden viaduct which was filled in with soil sometime around 1900. I've seen piccy's before....it would be nice to have posted on here. Anyone help....Atarah?
Sorry about that Tealeaf....Of course you are right, and my brain cells are dying a death!!

Remember, I can't pop down at weekends to refresh my memory, and it must be about 30 years since I walked on the canal at that spot!.

From the Piccys that Bazf has posted (we've seen them before on the cotton town site) I notice that the one showing a tram travelling under the railway bridge towards Blackburn, shows that 20 steps hadn't yet been built. I wonder why they were built in the first place? Must have been to connect to a footpath to Hill Street or the Whiteash. Any ideas?.

As for the wooden Railway embankment at Aspen valley. I've seen a photo in one of my little Accrington Books or Ossy Observed book. I can't scan at home (and my books are in Bavaria anyway), so I can only confirm that there was a very long wooden viaduct which is now filled with earth (when was this done?).

Last edited by Darby; 17-09-2004 at 04:48.
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 07:05   #59
Resident Waffler

 
WillowTheWhisp's Avatar
 

Re: church

There are steps up to the level of the railway line at either side of the bridge on opposite sides of the road, but the ones at the Accrington side have been (long ago) walled off at the top.

Is there no mention of the wooden viaduct and infilling in the book where you have a photograph? I'll have a hunt through some books of mine to see if I can find anything. My brain cells are as bad as yours.
__________________
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic1202_2.gif

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2004, 08:06   #60
Senior Member+
 

church

Hi, managed to find this for you, aspen valley I believe its called
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bridge.JPG (99.7 KB, 115 views)

Last edited by Atarah; 17-09-2004 at 08:08.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« Life in Church | - »
Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 21:45.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1