Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2006, 23:35   #31
I am Banned

Talking Re: Qu. What do you like about church?

the stained glass windows...........and the communial wine.
bad breath brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-12-2006, 05:41   #32

Cool Re: Qu. What do you like about church?

Where shall I start?

One thing I like about Church is that all the people speak like me, it kind of brings you down to Earth, this is one thing that is overlooked until you speak to people from elsewhere. I like most of the people in Church, especially the elderly, because they have respect for folk, no matter what age, plus they can teach us a lot about our roots and local history that is not written in any book, anywhere. I like the name Church, as it implies holiness and a nobility about this small "village" (if you can call it that). I like Church because it isn't as busy as Accrington (and it smells better too; joke). Most of all, I like Church because it is my home.

I'm glad you asked "what do you like...", the opposite would have had a post 10 times as long. I'm only pulling your leg

Infinitus
Infinitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 08:14   #33
Senior Member+

Re: Qu. What do you like about church?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
The best thing about church is the STAG INN simple
Not any more it isn't,as you well know.In fact in it's current state it's an eyesore,especially as it's right on the main road
Old 18-12-2006, 23:09   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

lived in church for 8 years when i was first wed to my late wife, never really set foot in the place before that, found most of the folk magic,made some great friends there still are them thats not croaked now and that was early 70s, theres not much wrong with church in my book.
Old 19-12-2006, 07:29   #35
Senior Member+

I like the fact it's situated within walking distance to Accy & Ossy & easy to get to B'burn by bus.It's only downside is the number of pubs that have shut down over the last 20 or so years
Old 19-12-2006, 16:34   #36

I have fond memories of Lancashire League cricket matches at Church on some of the pleasant summer Saturday afternoons of my youth.
jamesicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 13:52   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesicus View Post
I have fond memories of Lancashire League cricket matches at Church on some of the pleasant summer Saturday afternoons of my youth.
ah had forgot about that an old mate/workmate used to open the batting for many years, had a few good afternoons myself.
Old 23-12-2006, 14:16   #38
Senior Member+

best thing about church is if you blink your eyes when you enter it by the time you've opened them again youve left it! lol
jedimaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2006, 22:04   #39
Junior Member+

it depends what you call church is it church kirk? or is it the posh end that like to be known as dill hall and don,t associate with the people of church kirk
jackrovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 22:27   #40
Resting In Peace

what's the best thing about church? the road out of it.

tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 23:16   #41
God Member

I have lived in Church 3 times
1st at the top of Dill Hall -1961 to 1966
2nd half way down Dill hall -1985 to 1991
3rd on Barnes St - 1991 to 2002

Dill Hall is not considered to part of Church by Church residents, who live in that group of streets hemmed in by the canal, Henry St and Blackburn Rd.
The situation in those streets began to deteriorate when Dunkenhalgh Way opened so that Henry St was choked with traffic and at rush hour there was no way of getting in and out of those streets by the only 2 ways - Barnes St and Church Lane. Traffic noise escalated, litter increased -people wanted out, but not many wanted to buy - property developers bought - bad tenants moved in = gradual deterioration to what it is today.
I feel sad about it too -was Ok in 1991 -friendly folk and all that - but by 2002 was thankful to leave
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2007, 23:31   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i too lived 3 times in church 72-80 lion street, 80-82 near top dill hall (semi) 82-86 just past cemetry,though that could be termed enfield? was a great friendly place to live then, such a shame now i think.
Old 27-04-2007, 01:10   #43
Yank in King Art's Court!

At my church the sermons are nice but I really like the music!

BEA

LancYorkYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 14:11   #44
God Member

We are discussing an urban district named Church which happens to contain a church we call 'Church Kirk'.
Type BB5 4JY UK into Google Earth
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2007, 18:44   #45
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
We are discussing an urban district named Church which happens to contain a church we call 'Church Kirk'.
Type BB5 4JY UK into Google Earth
Margaret,it also has a Baptist church up Walmsley close,a mehodist church on Wesley St. and is'nt 'Church Kirk' called St. James'.Hey , for all its troubles ,Church does take after its name.Hallileuliah

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..