Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/mr-william-turner-local-expert-on-accrington-pals-31951.html)

Bob Dobson 05-07-2012 16:03

Re: MR WILLIAM TURNER - Local "expert" on Accrington Pals

I did discuss this with Retlaw a couple of years ago. However, as much as I would like to see it in book form, I have ceased to be a publisher. I now deal in secondhand books only. I do have stock of some of the books I have published

jaysay 05-07-2012 17:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1001344)
I did discuss this with Retlaw a couple of years ago. However, as much as I would like to see it in book form, I have ceased to be a publisher. I now deal in secondhand books only. I do have stock of some of the books I have published

Thats a shame Bob I think Retlaws work would have been an ideal project for you

CHAZ1975 18-08-2012 07:26

i'm no expert but couldnt your info be put on a disc? if so why not make copies and sell the discs? £20 a pop or something

Retlaw 18-08-2012 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHAZ1975 (Post 1009511)
i'm no expert but couldnt your info be put on a disc? if so why not make copies and sell the discs? £20 a pop or something

I do have it on a disc, used it to copy it to the backup computers, but if I gave it to you it would be unreadable, unless you understand DOS. DOS is no longer readable on any of Gill Bates's operating systems after WIn 98.

Less 18-08-2012 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1009555)
I do have it on a disc, used it to copy it to the backup computers, but if I gave it to you it would be unreadable, unless you understand DOS. DOS is no longer readable on any of Gill Bates's operating systems after WIn 98.

How strange, here I am using windows 7 and if I go Accesories then command prompt I can use my PC as if I'm in DOS???:confused:

Retlaw 18-08-2012 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 1009556)
How strange, here I am using windows 7 and if I go Accesories then command prompt I can use my PC as if I'm in DOS???:confused:

You can do that on most computers, I use the command prompt in Win Millen, Win XP & Win 7, but try installing a DOS based program, in any of them and see what happens. Gates tried to buy out WordStar & Dbase, but they wouldn't sell, so he made sure after WIN 98 that those programs would not work in any future WIN OS.

Gremlin 18-08-2012 19:44

I was in the Junction 12 shopping outlet near Nelson today and saw a book about Accrington Pals, I am sure the author was a chap called Turner, would it be the same chap you are writing about on here.

Retlaw 18-08-2012 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gremlin (Post 1009600)
I was in the Junction 12 shopping outlet near Nelson today and saw a book about Accrington Pals, I am sure the author was a chap called Turner, would it be the same chap you are writing about on here.

He is the only author who has written about the Accrington Pals, now we are infested with so called Accrington Pals experts.
Have you not followed the thread from the beginning.

Margaret Pilkington 18-08-2012 20:58

I have followed, with great interest, this thread from its beginning....but I do not consider myself an expert on the Accrington Pals.
I value greatly the work done to uncover as much information about them as possible.....to keep their memories alive. It would be sad, and a crime if this information were lost forever.
The sacrifices made by these young men should never be allowed to fade from our consciousness.