Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

Bob Dobson 23-01-2013 18:50

Re: Street Names

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1037161)
Were they connected to Slingers butchers? When I was at the high school 1957-64 we had a teacher called Mrs Rhoda Slinger and I think her sons were the butchers. They lived in a big house on Whalley Road - looking at google streetview I think it was the RH one of the pair of tall red brick houses facing the end of Livingstone Road. She later married Sir William Cocker. See second picture down:

New Page 1

BTW any idea why that area has the name Oaklea or is it Oakleigh?

Ive just had it from the horse's mouth that the butchering family were not directly connected with the Major Slinger, the landowner referred to. They were related to the solicitors.

susie123 23-01-2013 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1038420)
Ive just had it from the horse's mouth that the butchering family were not directly connected with the Major Slinger, the landowner referred to. They were related to the solicitors.

Thanks Bob, have you been buying horsemeat burgers in Tesco?

Bob Dobson 23-01-2013 19:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by susie123 (Post 1038424)
Thanks Bob, have you been buying horsemeat burgers in Tesco?

No, drinking in the Nag's Head

Retlaw 23-01-2013 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1038420)

Major Slinger of Rough Lee, Accrington, was a solicitor, qualified to work in the supreme court.

westendlass 30-01-2013 17:35

Anyone know the origins of Badge Brow and Dandy row in Ossy.?

Bob Dobson 30-01-2013 23:51

Dandy means 'fancy' A pair of Sunday clogs would be 'dandy clogs' I hope some Ossy folk will come up with better inflammation about the whereabouts, then we can see how fancy this row was.

Bob Dobson 07-02-2013 18:59

Edleston St ( with a single 'd'), Spring Hill may well be named in honour of Richard Edleston, a stalwart of New Jeruisalem Church, in which he was a 'missionary' in the 1840s. Had it been a double 'd', it might have honoured Peter Eddleston, a Guardian of the Poor and member of the Local Board, who died 1877 aged 46. He was a co-founder of the Pioneer Works. It might just be that at some time in the past, their names were identical, and that a spelling error on somebody's part made them different.

Bob Dobson 10-02-2013 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 874257)
Back to street names: Foster Street is off Burnley Rd, one street down from Pennyhouse Lane/ Queens Rd. In the 1870s(?) a David Foster lived in a house at the corner Foster St & Burnley Rd., so maybe there is a connection there. The Peel family would have given the OK for the street's name, but I don't yet know what the connection with that family is.. I do know that it has nowt to do with Foster's fireplaces, Are there any Fosters in Accrington now who could throw light on this? I imagine that if there are, they will be proud to say that the street is named after their ancestor.

';;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

The Peels would have chosen this street name. I suspect that they would be familiar with Samuel Foster, a 'master house and church painter' employing 7 men in the town. Sam had a brother, David Foster ,who died in 1875 aged 27yrs, and it it may be the David living in Burnley Rd was his son, and may be that Sam, a wealthy man, owned the block of houses at the end of the street that bears his name. The Burnley Rd David was a taper, which was not a well-paid occupation, so he would not be able to afford a house of that standard off his wages.....I wonder if the Foster firm decorated the nearby St John's church when it was erected? In the mid-to-late 19th century there weas a fair bit of church building going on in Acc.

Greeny 14-02-2013 12:24

. I live on Westwood St and our house was was built on land owned by the Peels.

Bob Dobson 14-02-2013 13:06

I can't come up with an explanation at this point. A look at the census in mid-century might bring a suggestion up. Next time I'm in the library, I'll do a bit of digging. Has Atarah got any suggestions?

Bob Dobson 21-03-2013 19:34

I was in the library today ( forgot about Westwood St) and came across some names of streets which never got built. There's a lot of them, as well as some whose names were later altered.

On land just higher up that the Cemetery pub ( Whitaker Arms), I found a small estate - Nuttall St, Alfred St, Lion St and Northwood St. I am linking this to the pub, owned by (Alfred) Nuttall's Lion Brewery. Alfred may have lived in a house called Northwood. I shall enquire. The plans were drawn in 1902. I wonder if there was any objection by the Corportation to Nuttall St, as there already was a Robert Nuttall St up Woodnook.

JCB 21-03-2013 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1041011)
Edleston St ( with a single 'd'), Spring Hill may well be named in honour of Richard Edleston, a stalwart of New Jeruisalem Church, in which he was a 'missionary' in the 1840s. Had it been a double 'd', it might have honoured Peter Eddleston, a Guardian of the Poor and member of the Local Board, who died 1877 aged 46. He was a co-founder of the Pioneer Works. It might just be that at some time in the past, their names were identical, and that a spelling error on somebody's part made them different.

As you will no doubt know there was a New Jerusalem church on Fairfield St. just past the top of Edleston St. , and is now a Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses .

Bob Dobson 21-03-2013 21:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCB (Post 1048261)
As you will no doubt know there was a New Jerusalem church on Fairfield St. just past the top of Edleston St. , and is now a Kingdom Hall of the Jehovah's Witnesses .

Good digging JCB.

Atarah 07-05-2013 01:56

Have you got the explanation for Carter Street? John Carter ws one of the original parters of Broadley, Carter & co., Victoria Mills, Victoria St, Accrington. Carter St received its name from this gentleman.

Bob Dobson 07-05-2013 08:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 1057744)
Have you got the explanation for Carter Street? John Carter ws one of the original parters of Broadley, Carter & co., Victoria Mills, Victoria St, Accrington. Carter St received its name from this gentleman.

Yes. Lydia St is also linked to Carter, though I have just forgotten what it is - a family name though. I don't keep a record of the names at home, I just write them on the library's cards. Robert Cunliffe is starting to put them on a database. Maybe someone else in the Carter or Broadley fam,ly family was a Major