Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

Bob Dobson 11-05-2013 19:16

Re: Street Names

Holden St was parallel with Ormerod St and Fountain St and is now occupied by Gllebe, Medina and Jannat Closes. It was likely names after the bloke who built the houses on it - Holden Barnes (1823-81), a contractor who employed 40 men, plus two horses and their two keepers. He lived at 23 Ormerod St. He was likely named Holden after the bloke who fathered him, Henry Holden, who later married the lad's mother. It was common for streets to be named after builders - Hannibal Ramsbottom and Obadiah Booth were in that situation, and Wm (?) Waddington.

JCB 11-05-2013 20:26

The top part of Holden St is still there .

Bob Dobson 12-05-2013 20:22

Dutton Street is named after the Blackburn brewer. He probably owned the land it is built on, as well as that in St James St where he built a pub - The Derby Arms. Likely Holme St has some connection with him too. He was a substantial donor to the building of the National School, Cannon St, in 1816

Bob Dobson 21-05-2013 20:06

Crossland St was laid down at the same time as nearby Charter and Corporation Sts on Jacob Lang's land. It is likely named after Henry Crossland,(1845-1905) who lived at No 2. He was a stonemason and I suspect in the employ of Jacob ( Jacob St & Lang St named after him) Towards the end of his life, he lived at 28 Buxton St, also built on Lang's land. Charter and Corporation Sts honour the incorporation of the town in 1878. The corporation yard was on Corporation St, and that is now still used by the council and county council. Crossland St is yet another example of a street being named after a builder.
Some work is being done on the index cards bearing street names in the library by putting them onto a database which will allow them all to be easily seen at one go and be available for public viewing on-line.

Karateman 21-05-2013 20:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 582752)
As well as 'when' it would be interesting to know 'why'.

Similarly does anyone know when Cromwell Street became Cromwell Avenue and why?

Where is Cromwell Avenue? according to google maps it is Cromwell street across from the Oakleigh. Maybe the residents have changed the road sign and not told the council....LOL

Atarah 21-05-2013 20:35

Maybe in 1939 when the Accrington High School for Girls opened? Avenue sounds much more impressive for the main entrance to a school????

Bob Dobson 21-05-2013 21:10

I think Atarah is right on this HOWEVER my O.S. A-Z Lancashire Atlas shows it as STREET, though the postcode finder of Royal Mail calls it Ave. Why Cromwell though? The name was given by Rev Charles Whitaker (hence Whitaker St) who owned the land but as Cromwell was anti-CofE, it is an unusual choice. It might be linked to Marshall St, also on Whitaker land, which was on the opposite side of Whalley Rd, and Whitaker might have admired Cromwell for marshalling the troops, but this is pure conjecture. He did like to link names - Orange, Lemon and Lime, Pilot and Port were his favoured names, though not all got used. There have been other examples, such as Cobham, of streets becoming roads or avenues. The best example of snobbery is that Mary-Ann St became Milton St.

Balbus 22-05-2013 10:05

It may have been named after Thomas Cromwell (not Oliver) who played a large part in the schism from Rome.

Bob Dobson 22-05-2013 10:42

Good thinking Balbus. I have noted your comment on the library's card.

Bob Dobson 02-06-2013 06:27

Rutland St was (is it still there?) a street whose name appeared to have no link to its neighbours. I did think it was one of a few on Peel land which referred to the name of a county. However, I am now of the opinion that is yet another street named after a politician pal of the Peel family, several of whom were politicians linked to Sir Robert but probably also known to Jonathan Peel and his Accrington branch of the family. The 6th Duke of Rutland was a Conservative MP ( as was Peel) and served under Lord Derby, PM in the 1830s and 40s, who was certainly known to our Peels.(Derby St & Stanley St refer to him) Rutland's family name was Manners. He lived 1815-88 and owned vast amount of land in Leicestershire and Lincolnshire. Just like the Peels. I think that the present-day company Peel Holdings started off as a family one.

Bob Dobson 12-06-2013 09:47

A pal, Robert Cunliffe, is working on making available in the library a printed list of street names to complement the card index system which has been there for some years. I anticipate it will be up and running in early July and be available in the library. It is restricted, at present, to Accrington streets, but if you can add any information on Church-Ossie-Clayton names, please do so on this thread or PM me and I will ensure the information gets into the system, both card and database. I will announce when the printed version gets into the library.

Someone recently spoke with me about Bent St, Ossie. I would like to hear from you again as to why this street is so called.

cashman 12-06-2013 09:52

Was probably a description of what lives in ossy.:D

smobile 13-06-2013 09:27

Anyone got any information as to the origins of the "Hygiene" and "Chequers" in Clayton ?

Bob Dobson 13-06-2013 09:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by smobile (Post 1062620)
Anyone got any information as to the origins of the "Hygiene" and "Chequers" in Clayton ?

Interesting that these two streets aren't called street/road/row - just the name. The answer might be found in the minutes of the urban district council - if they still exist. Hygiene might be linked to laundering or bleaching.

cashman 13-06-2013 09:49

Chequers is summat i always wondered about, from when i supped in the Castle mid 60s,:confused: But then seemed to forget about after a few Pint Crystals.:D